Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 104

Thread: LLVM Replaces libstdc++ Library With libc++

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,933

    Default

    Oh wait, they actually wrote most of it
    No, hell no, and no.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Apple knows that with open source they have outside contributors (And don't have to waste X much money on devs).

    They reason they want to do it is because they're spending so much money on maintaining GCC ports, that they figured it'd be easier just to do that. That's why pretty much the entire project goal is portability, with minor speed goals and stuff.

    I have no problems whatsoever with using it. In fact, TBH I'd rather use it than some crackpot named Richard Stallman's stuff (He thinks big brother is watching him at all times).

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,933

    Default

    That "crackpot" wrote the GCC compiler, which Apple is spending money porting.

    Good luck not using GCC.

    Some people really lack a sense of perspective...

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    That "crackpot" wrote the GCC compiler, which Apple is spending money porting.

    Good luck not using GCC.

    Some people really lack a sense of perspective...
    ...or appreciation.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    That "crackpot" wrote the GCC compiler, which Apple is spending money porting.

    Good luck not using GCC.

    Some people really lack a sense of perspective...
    I didn't say I didn't think he was talented, nor do I not thank him for his work. Actually, I think I did say pretty much that he wasn't talented.., and I take that back (Just woke up, shiiiit. Didn't mean to say it that way).

    But he hasn't had much to do with GCC development in a long long time (AFAIK), and has suggested a lot of preposterous things (AKA lost his mind).

    GCC was fantastic during it's hayday..but unless there's a major change it's going to die.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,933

    Default

    True, Stallman is not actively developing much these days, and that's also good -- new people, fresh ideas, it's healthy for a software ecosystem.

    But we can't forget that he is, more than probably anyone else, to thank that we have all the open source goodness that we do today.

    When I started using Linux, I was a pragmatist, who wanted to tinker, and get decent software for free. I thought that RMS was a bit out there. The more I've been using Free Software (it's been over 10 years now), the more I appreciate him and his point of view. The man is right most of the time, even if it is not practical or comfortable to accept it.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    True, Stallman is not actively developing much these days, and that's also good -- new people, fresh ideas, it's healthy for a software ecosystem.

    But we can't forget that he is, more than probably anyone else, to thank that we have all the open source goodness that we do today.

    When I started using Linux, I was a pragmatist, who wanted to tinker, and get decent software for free. I thought that RMS was a bit out there. The more I've been using Free Software (it's been over 10 years now), the more I appreciate him and his point of view. The man is right most of the time, even if it is not practical or comfortable to accept it.
    While he's right when it comes to some of the stuff he says (For the users end, proprietary software generally isn't good). But he also has to consider the fact that businesses need to make money.

    He tends to bring his software views outside of software (i.e. since Linux worked communism works...no, Linux has been made by IIRC > 90% paid devs, and it's duplicateable..bread isn't).

    I do not agree with pretty much anything he says anywhere that's pretty much why I don't like him. I like Linus a lot more than RMS, although I don't agree with lashing out at devs who contribute their time (Talking about specific ones), although I can't say I blame him for doing it for over 10 years, almost 20.

    Now, Andrew Morton, I like the dude, and Tanenbaum. Why? Because, Morton's an expert witness for IBM against SCO.

    /endofftopic..

    GCC is awefully bloated. Any changes that want to happen tend to be rejected. Same with the Linux kernel. All good things must come to an end..

    TBH with modern hardware I think a microkernel or a hybrid kernel would help keep things not so bloated, but that's just me (There's a LOT of room for improvising with micro/hybrid kernels).

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoEffex View Post
    GCC was fantastic during it's hayday..but unless there's a major change it's going to die.
    LLVM has made impressive progress, but it's not even close to obsoleting GCC. There's a lot more to GCC than being an x86 system compiler.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    LLVM has made impressive progress, but it's not even close to obsoleting GCC. There's a lot more to GCC than being an x86 system compiler.
    That's true. But, as an x86* compiler, it's becoming less and less desired. I MUCH more enjoy compiling with clang (Though with C++ it sucks ) because for larger projects it's much much much quicker and it provides some speed improvements.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,933

    Default

    Linux has been made by IIRC > 90% paid devs
    Without Stallman, these developers would still be working on Solaris, AIX, NetWare and the like and you'd be paying 1000$ per licence to run it on your $20,000 box.

    There would be no Linux as we know it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •