• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a FACTS

The facts. Damn time limit too.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      A bull. What have far more contributors? Linux or *BSD?
      Sorry, I thought selfish is equal to self-sufficient....

Comment

Hey, if the BSD crowd does want to have their code stolen, why do you object? It's their code, and if they wish for it to be abused, it's their decision and their right to be happy about it. If they don't care that Apple takes their code and doesn't even want to contribute some stupid *desktop icons*, and they're happy about that too, let them. It's what they wanted, it's what they got.

Comment

I always make my homework before posting, but now you guys really got me. According to reliable sources from the Phoronix forums, the GPL is akin to communism, whereas the BSD license is identified with anarchy. Imagine my surprise when I learned that instead the GPL is slavery. But it makes sense, because it fits well with the fact that Gnome is a fascist desktop environment.

I hope my understanding of the topic is now adequate. Thanks!

Kraftman, are you becoming nuts? You sound like you are having a discussion with yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Hey, if the BSD crowd does want to have their code stolen, why do you object? It's their code, and if they wish for it to be abused, it's their decision and their right to be happy about it. If they don't care that Apple takes their code and doesn't even want to contribute some stupid *desktop icons*, and they're happy about that too, let them. It's what they wanted, it's what they got.
            Exactly, but some people didn't want to agree with this. I have no problem if someone decided to choose the BSD license, but if he don't like if someone else mentions what BSD allows others to do with it, it's a bit strange.

@Yotambien

Kraftman, are you becoming nuts? You sound like you are having a discussion with yourself.
            While there's a one minute edit window and I'm busy, so I've got to write rapidly I've got to fix my mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
              I always make my homework before posting, but now you guys really got me. According to reliable sources from the Phoronix forums, the GPL is akin to communism, whereas the BSD license is identified with anarchy. Imagine my surprise when I learned that instead the GPL is slavery. But it makes sense, because it fits well with the fact that Gnome is a fascist desktop environment.

I hope my understanding of the topic is now adequate. Thanks!
              Haha, a very accurate analysis. You win the thread

Comment

Nope, it's called a free choice. It's funny you're calling this slavery while Apple is forcing its developers to not touch the GPL3.
                Wow Apple is paying them to work on projects they utilize. How dare they? BTW the Apple contract does not prohibit GPL 3. It utilizes a standard non-compete clause.

Bull. No matter if you want this or not you serve people and groups I mentioned. If you choose GPL you serve only GPL projects and community.
                Yes master.

Comment

More freedom to developers and companies, but doesn't guarantee code will remain free as in freedom.
                  Sure it does. The original code and any subsequent contribution back remains free as well. If someone does not contribute back to the project it is their code they are deciding not to do it with. The original code stays free.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    The original code stays free.
                    Not once Apple steals the BSD-licensed code and puts it in DRM- and EULA-stiffled software that takes away user's freedom. I care about my users, and I want to do everything I can so that they retain full control of their computers. Why? For selfish reasons of course, because I count myself as a user too.

Deanjo, you seem to be sent by one of these proprietary companies to astroturf against free and open source software. On every article, on every thread, you push for the proprietary option or the one that allows for denying user freedoms.

Comment

Please, people. Attack the argument, not the person.

Comment

Working...
                      X