Mandriva is about to disaapear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandriva is about to disaapear

French distribution called Mandriva is for sale. After years struggling in business, future of this distribution is uncertain. Maybe, it would be better if mandriva diappeared...

Dissociated Press: Joe Brockmeier's home on the web for music, tech, open source, and more.

Dead or not 2010.1 RC2 was released last night or this am not sure which.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by next9 View Post
      French distribution called Mandriva is for sale. After years struggling in business, future of this distribution is uncertain. Maybe, it would be better if mandriva diappeared...

http://www.dissociatedpress.net/2010...-find-a-buyer/
      It may be silly to get emotional about distros, but I do.

Mandrake was my 1st choice for four years, to version 9.2.

Later, I read they had changed their name to Mandriva, but then I was already checking out a whole bunch of other distros.

But, it is hard to motivate running all distros you ever used... So, I stick to one at the time.

Comment

It was a viable choice for a desktop distro. I've never used it (or Mandrake or Conectiva), but it was nice to have some choice in the desktop segment.

Now it's getting thinner up there.

There is still a healthy competition for server (RedHat, Suse, Debian) and power-user segments (Debian, Slack, Gentoo, Arch), but when it comes to being built for desktop systems, there is not much outside Ubuntu. Fedora and OpenSuse, maybe.

Comment

Working...
        X