Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pidgin 2.7.0 Instant Messenger Released

Phoronix: Pidgin 2.7.0 Instant Messenger Released

While Ubuntu, Fedora, and other distributions have switched to using GNOME's Empathy as their default instant messaging application, Pidgin continues to be a popular choice among Linux users and also those on other operating systems. Seeing Pidgin swapped out for Empathy hasn't let down the Pidgin developers, but in fact they just put out Pidgin 2.7 that packs a fair amount of changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know final status of Jingle (voice&video) support in Pidgin 2.7.0 for Windows?

I’ve been helping out Maiku (who’s the Google summer of code student who was tasked with getting voice/video working in Pidgin) to get pidgin-vv working on Windows. We’ve done lot…

cache: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...l&client=opera

Comment

I really don't get the change to Empathy... It just doesn't work.

Whereas Pidgin works quite nicely.
      Kopete is also nice and functional, but Akonadi (the KDE PIM backend) is so frustrating that currently Pidgin is the only viable option for me.

Comment

Do they have webcam support yet, for MSN or yahoo? If not then it's not a viable choice for me.

Comment

same here -- never had much luck with empathy. still use pidgin for the most part. it would be nice if pidgin would finally adopt webkit though. i think it makes a big difference in organizing the conversation. one day, maybe...

Comment

Still no direct Live Messenger file transfer support? Lame.

3KB/s server side file transfers suck. Other programs support this, why not Pidgin.....

Comment

Originally posted by spikestabber View Post
              Still no direct Live Messenger file transfer support? Lame.

3KB/s server side file transfers suck. Other programs support this, why not Pidgin.....
              I was just about to comment on that.
              Pidgin's implementation of the MSN protocol is just pathetic. And aMsn is really the only unofficial client that truly supports fast file transfers (it also gets capped at 300kB/s, which is due to the protocol itself being complete cr*p... but let's leave that for another topic).
              There's an attempt underway to implement fast file transfers in Pidgin & Empathy. It's called msn-pecan. It sort of works sometimes, but not really. I've done a lot of research on the topic, and this is as far as you'll get with Pidgin.

Comment

Video chat on windows.

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
                Does anyone know final status of Jingle (voice&video) support in Pidgin 2.7.0 for Windows?

I’ve been helping out Maiku (who’s the Google summer of code student who was tasked with getting voice/video working in Pidgin) to get pidgin-vv working on Windows. We’ve done lot…

cache: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...l&client=opera
                The work appears to be done..

Comment

Huh, I was surprised to see response in this thread from 2010. This is a great news! I can finally talk with people using Windows, great!

Comment

Working...
                  X