Page 99 of 111 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by snuwoods View Post
    Apparently on that frozenbyte forum link, one of the devs said that trine would be out for linux within a month.
    Let me rephrase that sentence: Trine is not initially released through the Linux client of Steam.

Anyways, while I wouldn't expect anything of that to become public, Valve is probably going to announce that they are working on the Linux client privately to developers at the GDC this week.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Let me rephrase that sentence: Trine is not initially released through the Linux client of Steam.

Anyways, while I wouldn't expect anything of that to become public, Valve is probably going to announce that they are working on the Linux client privately to developers at the GDC this week.
    Are you one of the trine devs ? d2kx=fb_joel ?

Quote Originally Posted by christian_frank View Post
    Are you one of the trine devs ? d2kx=fb_joel ?
    No, but before a release there is a Beta and before a Beta there's an announcement. It needs more than a month to do all of this.

Hi guys, Joel from Frozenbyte here, I just quickly want to cut this short and say that our plans don't have anything to do with Valve, it's a totally separate thing.

Anyhow, from a game developer perspective I'm sure support for Linux will rise in the coming years. The recent distros are becoming very easy to use, and general support for hardware seems quite good nowadays, and many basic apps have Linux versions or good alternatives. Personally I just built a silent Atom D525 computer and installed Ubuntu 10.10 on it as my new primary OS. (And if anyone's interested, the beta version of Trine Linux runs quite fine on the D525 + NVIDIA Ion gen 2, around 20 frames per second which is reasonably impressive to me all things considered.)

So I'm all for a Steam Linux client, I hope it happens soon. That said, we don't have anything to do with that. Sorry to burst the hope bubble.

Thanks for the update Joel!

This quote from a PC Authority article just sort of empathizes the importance of Steam i think. And microsoft really are a dead man walking imho, so in the bizarre chance Steam and the Source Engine do make their way to Linux... it'd be a huge coup.
    Microsoft and Nvidia abandon PC Gaming Alliance
    by John Gillooly on Feb 22, 2011
    Tags: microsoft | nvidia | pc | gaming | alliance | amd | steam
    Industry body grows smaller and weaker as two more major players leave altogether, while AMD reduces involvement

Ever since Microsoft turned its back on Windows gaming in favour of the closed Xbox Ecosystem, the platform has been crying out for a champion. The company occasionally gives nods towards a revived focus upon PC gaming, most recently with yet another relaunch for Games for Windows Live and a trio of upcoming PC games, but when it comes to throwing cash around the Xbox is the beneficiary.

One could argue that Valve software has become a de-facto platform champion both with its Steam marketplace and its relentless innovation when it comes to its own games

Quote Originally Posted by M1AU View Post
    Thanks for the update Joel!
    Trine has been released on the Desura

http://www.desura.com/games/trine

http://frozenbyte.com/

I guess d2kx knows something we don't?
    @michaellarabel well, he sure looks like it (okay, that wasn't very nice, I like him). But I can't believe the delay is a coding issue tbh
    that was tweeted by d2kx in reference to steam on linux.

And here we are, almost a year later. I still have hopes, Michael. I visit your site frequently, hoping to see something.

One thing that I would not have been able to predict last year: The PS3 will have Steam before Linux. Pretty wild, right?

Come on, Steam for Linux!