Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As the caster demo is the update for the full version of caster somebody would just install it over it if you would not want to use steam all the time. I would not call that protected then. But one thing is unlogical: when you use steam you get win AND mac version automatically (just depends which os you boot) but when you buy it directly then you get only one version. When you would think that steam would run on linux too then you could get all 3 variants with one buy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
      But one thing is unlogical: when you use steam you get win AND mac version automatically (just depends which os you boot) but when you buy it directly then you get only one version.
      I'll check into that. I think the $5 purchase is for a license for the game that is largely not specific to the SKU you're using. You should be able to run on the OS of your choice so long as you're not running on two different machines at the same time for the license you purchased.

When you would think that steam would run on linux too then you could get all 3 variants with one buy.
      Well, there IS a reason that I need to find out what the REAL scoop is on things there... :-D

Comment

• Originally posted by getut View Post
        I hope that Steam for linux isn't going to be as intrusive and spyware like as steam was for Windows. Steam was basically the straw that broke the camels back for gaming for me. I really haven't played anything but quake live since. The company did not need the program running all the time, they did not need to know every time I fired up for a single player game. They did not need to be sending information about my gaming tendencies back to their servers.

If steam for linux is something that I run when ***I*** want to update my games or download new ones but then never see again until next time I want to perform those tasks then it'll be a nice piece of software and I'LL PAY FOR GAMES.

When my only recourse is to be treated like a criminal by the company, then I'll do just that. I'll play cracked games and cracked games only.
        As I admit that some DRM's are rather evil (Sony I am looking at you!), I never felt that Steam was bad in that way. In fact, Steam seems to be the only platform that is fair towards its end-users. For example, I can install any of my games on any computer that I wish, as long as I am not signed in on two computers at the same time. Even if I am, it will just sign me out automatically on the first computer.

EA's Download Manager is pure crap in comparison. I bought Mirrors Edge from them (it's been a couple years now), but I had some funny time-limit from activating the game online to downloading and installing it. Also, I would have to save the downloaded files somewhere to be able to reinstall it again. In the meantime I of course lost the files and I can't re-download the game now (not that I care that much, he says it best).

I think Steam gave Developers faith in the PC again, that they could sell their games without having to invest into idiotic, sadistic and evil contrived DRM schemes. Which actually made the games cheaper.

Comment

• Cracked games have their place. Paying money for a game, then seeing it doesn't come with a serial number (instead having to log into some website for one...but said website is longer online) and also finding out that the game language is different to the box's (usually they label this, but not always it seems) kind of makes getting another copy a necessity.
          The whole language deal is another thing that has kept me from buying some games - I (still) can't buy games online (every time I think of getting a credit card or something similar, work has a nasty habit of being damned late with paying me) and rely upon buying off the shelf, then going through some stupid steam activation crap. Only I can't do that with some games (still can't play AvP because the damned thing won't activate in this country), and other times the only shelf copies aren't in english (which I personally need to fully enjoy a game - although often you can "obtain" the language files and/or add a crack to make it run).
          The point is though - if you're going to crack a game, at least buy it too. If you're not willing to pay the obscene amounts charged, then wait for it to hit a bargain bin. Otherwise, don't play it.

Comment

• I got a Garry's Mod update today:

Updates to Garry's Mod have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:
            Fixed addons not loading on OSX/Linux
            Strange...

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenWizard View Post
              I got a Garry's Mod update today:

Strange...
              Whenever you see Linux mentioned in an update it could simply be to address an issue while running the game via Wine. It's not necessarily an indication of Steam for Linux being released.

I don't doubt that there'd be a possibility (no matter how small) of a release for Linux at some stage but there's been no publicly available proof and anyone who would have insider proof is yet to leak it in such a way as to indicate it's absolutely coming.

Certain hints by some are just that. They could just be funnin' with us for laughs and giggles :-)

Comment

• rather wine support i would say HL2 linux server update that is needed to run gary's mod online/multiplayer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
                  rather wine support i would say HL2 linux server update that is needed to run gary's mod online/multiplayer.
                  There is no OSX server support and the update says OSX/Linux

Maybe Garry Newman knows more than we do

Comment

• Can we PLEASE get the OP thread title changed

NEVER was it once said by Valve that there is going to be a linux client for STEAM, it was suggested by 3rd parties
                    So wtf can it be "official"

Comment

• Originally posted by naib View Post
                      can we please get the op thread title changed
                      +1,000,000

Comment

Working...
                      X