Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
    There are those that "need" steam in order to use linux.
    Linux can live without them.
    What does a native steam client in linux mean if there is no desire to use linux otherwise?
    "need" probably not the best word
    A deciding fact is probably a better word.

These people are going to be predominantly gamers and thus what OS they use is more of the deciding factor as opose to what the OS can do that the others can't

What use is a Ferrari to a farmer if all he is going todo is plow the fields?

I know quite a few people who really like linux BUT were still dual booting for gaming. Once they realised they were spending more time in windows they just left the linux partition to go out of date. Think about it... you are in linux doing shit and decide you want to frag something... reboot and choose windows
    hour or so later after fragging you then quit and decide to browse the web, listen to music... Do you reboot to linux for this? no you stay in windows because windows can do it and you might want another game.

THUS if you are into a game at a particular moment your linux partition doesn't get booted.

I get like that when I test the HoN beta client. my linux partition might not get booted for a week until the beta goes to the retail client then back to linux. Likewise if I want to play l4d2 I boot to windows and stay there ( yes WINE exist but come on it aint all that!)

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
      mat69, maybe Michael does know something - and 'officials' like to deny things that are just happening in the background. So just do what everybody else should do:
      lean back, relax and don't think about it until there is a release. If there is never one, you did not waste any energy.
      Or maybe Michael should learn to phrase his articles that are based on hearsay in a manner that reflects that they are based on hearsay.

See, there is a massive difference between saying "a reliable source has told Phoronix Steam is being ported to Linux" and "Steam is coming to Linux, it has been confirmed."

One is an accurate statement of fact, one destroys a "brand"...

Comment

• It looks like Valve is still busy: http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html

A big question remains: is it just for the (game)servers, or are clients also involved?

Comment

• The post that will be approved in a few hours is old news.

Sorry for the noise guys

Comment

• Now, next, and beyond: Tracking need-to-know trends at the intersection of business and technology

Comment

• tl;dr: Linux has more than 1% desktop saturation because it makes a great base for Apache, MySQL, and PHP. Caitlyn is always worth a laugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                tl;dr: Linux has more than 1% desktop saturation because it makes a great base for Apache, MySQL, and PHP. Caitlyn is always worth a laugh.
                and she did not mention apache, mysql or php.

You should sit down and read. Even a person with the attention span of fly and the reading capabilities of a third grader should be able to read and understand it. So you have a fair chance.

Comment

and she did not mention apache, mysql or php.

You should sit down and read. Even a person with the attention span of fly and the reading capabilities of a third grader should be able to read and understand it. So you have a fair chance.
                  Did you read up on the FSF yet?

Comment

• what should I read up on them?

That they betrayed their 'core principles' with GPLv3?
                    That GPLv3 is a good example why assigning copyright to them is a really bad idea?

Comment

what should I read up on them?

That they betrayed their 'core principles' with GPLv3?
                      That GPLv3 is a good example why assigning copyright to them is a really bad idea?
                      Please tell me what their core principles are and how they betrayed them with the new GPL.

Comment

Working...
                      X