Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    No shit? A game development studio with employees under and NDA. Wow!
    Then they would have said "No comment". Period. You people still haven't addressed the fact that Valve has no history of denying working on things that they are. When evidence for the Mac OS X client was found, they didn't say they weren't working on it.

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    And also 'leaking' info to other sites, no fscking way!

Holy shit... that hasn't ever, ever, ever happened before!
    Because Valve has any history of leaking information and then denying it later? Oh wait, they don't.

Comment

So what they were working on at that time was not the Linux client of Steam, so something else, but there is a Linux version of the Steam client which has been worked on and it is not cancelled, but delayed.
      Nothing in their statement implies anything of the sort. You are projecting things into the statement that just don't exist.

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Now take a look at Michael his last post in the thread and that matches. Also combine this with previous experiences of Michael's inside info 'predictions' that was 'leaked' info and if that makes you not believe in a Linux client of Steam then... well what does? :P
      Except that Michael says that they are currently working on it while Valve says the opposite. No matter how hard you attempt to weasel out of this a false denial of working on a Linux client makes no sense when they didn't do anything of the sort when the Mac client was found before they officially announced it.

Comment

• Oh well, I guess I'll just lean back and wait for it

Comment

Oh well, I guess I'll just lean back and wait for it
          I can brush away the cobwebs occasionally.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
            Might also start selling cryo units so people can get frozen and wake up when Steam gets ported for Linux?

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
              Gearbox is now working on Duke Nuckem Forever and they are probably eager to hire a cobweb brusher

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                A denial breaks NDA's as well as a confirmation. When a NDA is in place the only allowed answer is "no comment".
                Actually, that is incorrect. A denial is as acceptable as the "no comment"- and in some cases is preferable as a "no comment" can actually be taken under the right circumstances as confirmation as a denial is a "no" and "no comment" means they're not at liberty to discuss anything (which usually means that there is the possibility of one- they can't disclose either way...).

Comment

• Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                  Look at the LGP games and how they don't work anymore for more quick clues on linux "stability". Also ALSA/libopenal is a big mess, pulseaudio doesn't save that either.
                  Well, there's a reason why. LGP used a different production method which has changed since then. The new method is very similar to the one I have used with Caster and using with Cortex Command- it uses an RPATH with select binaries produced with a cross-compile environment that pins things down to a range of libc versionings. It's little different than issues brought up with 98 versus XP at that point. I'm suspecting LGP hasn't had manpower to push out re-spins with the new method and patches (which each game in the industry has had to push out as drivers or system updates BROKE them on Windows as well...)

Linux is simply fubar with this, even packaging static libs down to libc/libc++ level doesn't help because well.. ALSA might break (or some kernel compilation setting changes something).
                  It is little different than with Windows. But people conveniently omit their woes because that's what they were used to from the Windows world. It's like a blind spot in people's minds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    It is little different than with Windows. But people conveniently omit their woes because that's what they were used to from the Windows world. It's like a blind spot in people's minds.
                    Agreed.

I have no problem launching Doom 3 on my Linux system, a game from 2004. Meanwhile on Windows, an update to Internet Explorer broke the game Halo (which is only about a year older than Doom 3).

So maybe "we" suck, but no worse than the competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Actually, that is incorrect. A denial is as acceptable as the "no comment"- and in some cases is preferable as a "no comment" can actually be taken under the right circumstances as confirmation as a denial is a "no" and "no comment" means they're not at liberty to discuss anything (which usually means that there is the possibility of one- they can't disclose either way...).
                      The statement that was given was a denial such development going on at this time. In legal terms disclosure is giving any information on the said subject. A "no" answer on a subject is a definite answer to a specific query. A "no comment" is a decline to comment. They are very different things.

Comment

Working...
                      X