Page 66 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

@Svartalf:

I highly doubt that any company is seriously thinking about Linux as a game changing system like the switch from dos to windows. I doubt they even do it in regard to MACs, and they are probably right.
    Especially now that Microsoft got back on track with the not quite as bad Windows7.

There is a general move to multi-platform games for some years however, and some companies are realizing that MACs (and to a lesser amount Linux) might be a small but also profitable market if games are made with portability in mind and thus costs to port to yet another system is low.

You can see this btw in many remarks about Linux ports, that due to the myriads of different Linux systems official support is too difficult, meaning for the profits that could be made its still too costly (id is a case in point as they don't officially support Linux).

Quote Originally Posted by madrang View Post
    Hi Guys today I browsed in the new Beta GCFs from CS Source Beta. It
    seems Valve planed to use the OSX Engine for UNIX (Linux). I found in
    the "counter-strike source beta engine.gcf" a file named "hl2.sh".

This is the Code from the "hl2.sh"...

Update : This is not just in the GFC files, it is also in the CSS
    beta folder in Steam apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julius View Post
    @Svartalf:

You can see this btw in many remarks about Linux ports, that due to the myriads of different Linux systems official support is too difficult, meaning for the profits that could be made its still too costly (id is a case in point as they don't officially support Linux).
    Well i don't know how much valve will make in profits but they are working on porting source games to linux.

I don't think we can just assume that there 100% definitive want be any Linux port of Steam based on that. Sure, it's an official person speaking, but that doesn't automatically make it 100% true or accurate. We've seen some sort of client working in Linux, so already there we do know that they aren't 100% truthful. In my opinion they could simply be denying that they're working on it because they can't or don't want to commit to anything just yet. Saying that there will be a port would create bad publicity if they can't keep that promise, and they want to make sure that doesn't happen.

I'm not saying that this is the case, but it could be, and we'll never know for sure unless there suddenly pops up a more of less fully working client or anyone from Valve says something else.

Maybe they simply abandoned the port because it was getting too much uncontrollable publicity?

Not that I'm an expert or something, but I doubt that. If anything, the publicity only shows there's interest for a Linux port. Valve don't need to control this kind of publicity as it's not hurting them or their products, they just can't promise something they aren't certain they can keep. In other words, they don't want to repeat what Epic did, and we all know why that is so.

well... the hl.sh file in CSS beta is even newer than this interview so i think they only are under a nda and work on the source engine for linux.

well... the hl.sh in CSS beta is even newer than this post so i really think they are under a nda and work on a port for the source engine for linux.

And this is why I don't trust phoronix.