Page 60 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 1105

Thread: It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

  1. #591
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gongo View Post

    Isn't this what links/lynx is for?
    I've had to use it several times in the past when my X is broken and it works quite well. In fact, Outlook Web Access works very well on a high res console rotated in portrait mode.
    I had to learn lynx solely for fglrx in the past

  2. #592
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee. FL
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Well it wouldn't be the first time for Valve to say that they're almost done with something, only to miss their own deadline by a year :')

    I realhy think Michael is right, but Valve is just being Valve again so we'll have to just wait it out
    I hope your right for once V!

  3. #593
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gongo View Post

    Isn't this what links/lynx is for?
    I've had to use it several times in the past when my X is broken and it works quite well. In fact, Outlook Web Access works very well on a high res console rotated in portrait mode.
    He doesn't use any web browser.

  4. #594
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tux9656 View Post
    I wonder what Richard Stallman would say about Steam on GNU/Linux with all the DRM.
    You could ask him. Most likely he would caution against its use, because of the absolute power Valve acquires through digital restrictions management, and the unfree licensing of the software. He's right of course, and I'm a fool not to listen to his warnings, but what can you do? It's games... on Linux!

  5. #595
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    45

    Default

    because of the absolute power Valve acquires through digital restrictions management
    Aaahhh... power. That's the reason there's no new games. The huge Microsoft gorilla leans on anyone even looking at Linux.

    Ah yes, "stream" available to "linus" users. A great trustworthy source they appear to be.
    Laugh

    I replayed the Opposing Force intro the other day, sound through my hi-fi. The chopper drone booming through the bass... nervous troops cracking jokes... alien space craft visible through the open chopper door. What an experience.

  6. #596
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I were bit sceptic with the pronouncement but this shot me down finally. Too bad it takes time to transform games between platforms. But more important is that big wheel has started to roll But isnt that just normal.

    Dunno if you have read but http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html managed to find out that currently valve software is looking for software engineer. And one part of the jobs is to port windows based games to the linux platform.

  7. #597
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    45

    Default

    And one part of the jobs is to port windows based games to the linux platform
    It *would* be great.

  8. #598
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    19

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Dehir View Post
    I were bit sceptic with the pronouncement but this shot me down finally. Too bad it takes time to transform games between platforms. But more important is that big wheel has started to roll But isnt that just normal.

    Dunno if you have read but http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html managed to find out that currently valve software is looking for software engineer. And one part of the jobs is to port windows based games to the linux platform.
    Nice, I hope it means what it seems to mean.

  9. #599
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    372

    Default

    it could mean porting the server side to linux and nothing more.... Anyway patience until Valve says something!

  10. #600
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Setlec View Post
    it could mean porting the server side to linux and nothing more.... Anyway patience until Valve says something!
    exactly. They have released server binaries for linux in the past. Nobody should get too excited.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •