Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Clicky*

Comment

• Originally posted by meklu View Post
      It's been debated whether or not Postal III will be on Linux since they closed down their forum and removed every utterance of the word Linux from their website.

Comment

• Originally posted by KameZero View Post
        It's been debated whether or not Postal III will be on Linux since they closed down their forum and removed every utterance of the word Linux from their website.
        I thought their forum was shut down as a cost saving move by RWS so they could pour more money into making postal 3 not look like ass.

Comment

• Since when does a forum cost you anything if you have already a website... I call foul!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
            Since when does a forum cost you anything if you have already a website... I call foul!
            servers, disk space, electricity do no come for free. I call no clue.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
              servers, disk space, electricity do no come for free. I call no clue.
              Servers:
              if you have a webserver already, then you don't need another one for a forum unless you want the biggest forum on earth.

Disk Space:
              If a forum would cause your disk to go full you have a bigger problem at hand, and that's an utterly small disk or in other words a crappy server. Do you use <100G disks in your server? If so I hope I never have to work with it .

Electricity:
              If you have the webserver already running a forum alongside your website on the same machine hardly changes your electricity consumption.

So I call "no clue" on you.

Comment

• forums with their database backend and php stuff create a pretty high load. They also create a lot of data. Serously. Just ask around. Forums are a huge load, as soon as you serve more than your half douzend friends.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                  Servers:
                  if you have a webserver already, then you don't need another one for a forum unless you want the biggest forum on earth.
                  Actually, I can serve a decent website on a single box. If it's got a forum with a bit of activity, you're NOT going to want to host it on a single box unless it's a high-end uber-server (I'm not kidding) because the throughput requirements for the forum are more than the regular static content or even a CMS driven site will typically need.

Yes, you can host it on a single server. Nobody in their right mind in that part of the industry would do it if it's anything other than a small, small forum, Dragonlord. Seriously. If you question that, I can point you to a relatively current copy of my resume online that will testify to the fact that I have, in fact, worked in that segment of the computer industry- and at the high-end of things that would have laughed at a slashdotting or a digging.

Disk Space:
                  If a forum would cause your disk to go full you have a bigger problem at hand, and that's an utterly small disk or in other words a crappy server. Do you use <100G disks in your server? If so I hope I never have to work with it .
                  It's not so much a problem of capacity- it's more of the I/O throughput there as well. Back to the remarks I just made- you don't want to. It means more parts- and if they're hosting the stuff, it means a differing hosting contract for the forum box if you're splitting off on a separate server like you ought to. Now, this presumes that they were doing that, mind- but I'm strongly suspecting it was a bit of cost-cutting, knowing how Vince usually works.

Electricity:
                  If you have the webserver already running a forum alongside your website on the same machine hardly changes your electricity consumption.
                  Again, you presume the same machine- which isn't a good presumption for a high-volume site as one will impair the other (typically the forum messing up response times for the regular website...). Just because you can do something, it doesn't lead that you should or would want to do it that way for best results.

[quote[
                  So I call "no clue" on you.
                  [/QUOTE]

Heh... Your suppositions are a bit off, my friend- I'd drop the line of reasoning because you're pushing a weakened position right at the moment...

Comment

• Originally posted by KameZero View Post
                    They've peeled quite a few mentions of a lot of things off their site because they're probably needing to keep costs down for themselves.

Back in 2008, Vince stated flatly:

Vince Desi: Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Mac and Linux.
                    in response to a question about target platforms. Vince's not one to typically make a statement like that unless he honestly meant to do it- and he'd tell you to your face that he had to change that plan and WHY the moment the plan actually changed. It's just the way the man is.

Not to make too much of things on their current site, there's not much mention of ANY target platforms for Postal III past Windows PC on their site for the same. Does this mean that they're not going to ship for 360, PS3, or Mac? Probably not- you just simply don't know anything more than what's on the website.

Much like the discussion about Source and Steam coming to Linux, it's just pure conjecture on what will/won't happen as they're playing it close to the hip on this one.

Comment

• Apparently some think this is a step forward in the push for linux. I guess opengl compatibility could never hurt.

Comment

Working...
                      X