Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe so. But even if the binary had been there for public reasons (which I doubt but nobody knows the truth there) the sources have not. So they did definitely not wanted people to hack (as in modifying) their testing binary. The important point here simply is what signal is going out from this action. People here have to be aware that Linux people are looked upon as little (thievery) hackers which want anything for free and hack anything the way they want. That action there did not much to nullify this clich? about us. That's my main point. If we want games on Linux and therefore Linux gaining momentum as a gaming platform we have to make it (and us) look serious. That definitely didn't look like this I'm afraid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      Maybe so. But even if the binary had been there for public reasons (which I doubt but nobody knows the truth there) the sources have not. So they did definitely not wanted people to hack (as in modifying) their testing binary. The important point here simply is what signal is going out from this action. People here have to be aware that Linux people are looked upon as little (thievery) hackers which want anything for free and hack anything the way they want. That action there did not much to nullify this clich? about us. That's my main point. If we want games on Linux and therefore Linux gaining momentum as a gaming platform we have to make it (and us) look serious. That definitely didn't look like this I'm afraid.
      Phoronix wasn't serious, they flat out lied by calling it "official" when it isn't. Linux users are just like most other computer nerds though and "hacking" at a binary is normal, and I support everyone's right to do so. Just because someone claims copyrights doesn't mean you can't still play around with modifying their stuff. I respect the rights of users over the wishes of the artists. Artists can wish that you do X, Y, and Z all they want, but if you have it you can do what you want with it, like they can stop that any way lol, what are they going to do, come to your house and watch you at your computer to make sure you don't poke their software with a stick they didn't certify? Fuck all that. Companies are used to "hackers", and if they want to ban them from their online games or whatever so be it, but you can't stop someone from tinkering with things that are in their possession if they want to do so and companies have to and are dealing with that fact.

Valve knows about everything here, you're helping in telling them yourself with every post you write, and if it wasn't something they intended they would have shut off access or moved the files long ago. Believe me, I work for, well, lets just say I'm in the "exact same situation" from where I'm at, and if Valve didn't want the public to have FTP access to those files, the public wouldn't have that access. All this is even on Wikipedia even for heavens sake. They know. If they didn't like the "hacking" on their binaries, they would have pulled them from public scrutiny by now.

Truth is, they like you and want you "hacking" their stuff. The more bugs and holes you find in it, the more patches they can cover before and if they actually do release a Linux client version. Leveraging the open source community to help fix their own software could even be the reason it is open to the public to begin with, so you can start poking it and report bugs to them.

Comment

• I would not bet on that. After all they leaked HL2 pre-release too so I don't think they are "that" good at not letting something out into the wild :P

Comment

• OK, let us analyse here for a sec...
          -Michael claims inside info;
          -Michael claimed such a thing before with AMD so this is not new;
          -Linux files have been found in public releases of the Steam CLIENT;
          -Valve is on the porting tour with the Mac;
          -Valve hasn't denied the client;
          -Valve doesn't hate Linux as there have been Wine hacks inside of the Steam client before Wine was even runnable on the Mac;
          -The Steam confirmation on their strictly monitored external intranet network has not been removed;
          -The news has been everywhere and yet Valve did not pull the plug on the ever updated Linux binary on their public FTP server;
          -There have been reports on closed beta Linux testing everywhere.

Are you guys stupid? It is being worked on in public... Valve doesn't plug it, so it's comming for 100% certainty. They have proved they can port to UNIX before so stop your doomsday theories...

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            -The news has been everywhere and yet Valve did not pull the plug on the ever updated Linux binary on their public FTP server;
            So it's still being worked on in plain sight? Well that would be pretty definitive if it's true.
            Can you prove it?

Comment

• Actually the majority of your points are mood and "your assumptions". Doesn't quality for proof.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                They have proved they can port to UNIX before so stop your doomsday theories...
                Prove it and the theories will stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  Prove it and the theories will stop.
                  Mac is UNIX >.<'

Comment

• Originally posted by fenixkane View Post
                    So it's still being worked on in plain sight? Well that would be pretty definitive if it's true.
                    Can you prove it?
                    It's been pulled. Last time I check it wasn't... my bad

Comment

• Steam won't be coming to Linux anytime soon folks. Read the official faq regarding Linux and check the last modified date for answers...

Comment

Working...
                      X