Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    1. Valve hates Linux.
    The origin of this little line is from the CEO of the company at one point stated that he didn't like Linux. Ages ago. Strangely, he said the same thing about MacOS and PS3- and there is Valve software and games running on both right now.

Gabe's about money. If he smells it or someone bigger than he asks nicely enough with the possibility of money- they're going to do a Linux version of things.

2. Apple paid Valve.
    This little meme runs about quite a bit. Origin is that they had given out incentives to a few key companies to make MacOSX versions of things as opposed to old OS stuff a long while back.

3. Valve is a Microsoft company.
    Valve may have a few ties to Microsoft, mainly because their CEO used to work for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by the_real_bill View Post
      This method works for id software, but they accept no liability for the clients. Valve are unlikely to take such a move. It could tarnish their reputation after all. Gabe is an Ex microsoft employee you know. Valve aren't anything like id software...
      If your reasoning were true...would there even BE a PS3 version of Orange Box or the MacOS version of Steam and Source?

I'm not saying you're not right- but your proposition has very weak grounds and can't get you to the conclusion you're going for right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        I totaly wouldn't be suprised if it was officialy released tommorow. I don't think Michael is blowing this out of his ass and lie. He already said he had inside info but what he showed was the only thing he was allowed to show because that was public. Stop bashing him; you're only making yourself look like a short attention span fool, especialy when it turns out that Michael is right.
        In truth...Phoronix had a similar situation going on, with similar doubts about things, back a while back when Michael Larabel claimed that a certain silicon vendor was going to open up their programming information.

It should be observed that they actually DID what Michael Larabel stated. I'm not holding my breath, mind- but in the same vein, I am not going to start calling it a "complete crock of shit" or similar right at the moment either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
          That's been there for years. It's nothing new.
          No, it's not- but they apparently are really interested in someone to do that work from my understanding.

Comment

• Originally posted by kilis View Post
            Yes it will!!! Proof from official wiki: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w...am_under_Linux
            "Please note: Games run with these methods will be slower than running them on Windows because the games are not native executable files. To get the best performance we will need to wait for Valve to release a native Steam client (which is now confirmed). "
            That is an interesting entry in their wiki- on a page they specifically control for extranet purposes. And, yes, it IS there, and it links back to Phoronix of all things.

Comment

• How much do they really control this? As far as I know from people using that wiki there they don't look "that" closely what is written unless it's vandalism. Besides it's a back-link. This is all like "ln -sf .. steamExists" and then doing a find on it <.=.<

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                How much do they really control this? As far as I know from people using that wiki there they don't look "that" closely what is written unless it's vandalism. Besides it's a back-link. This is all like "ln -sf .. steamExists" and then doing a find on it <.=.<
                It's my understanding it's fairly well controlled since it's their extranet wiki for development. I'm not going to say this is a smoking gun, but it's very odd that it showed up all the same.

As far as I'm concerned, we should just wait and see. I'm on the fence on this myself. I know enough to see that this might actually be happening- but without official proof, much like with the AMD release of info, I can't say "yes" to it happening.

Both sides, pro and con, need to cool their jets a bit here- there's indications there might be something actually happening, and statements of them being a Microsoft company or Gabe hating Linux are mostly hot air, because Gabe has come out against Macs AND PS3 (remember that...).

NONE of us know and bickering back and forth will do no good other than run Michael's hit counts up on ads and whatnot...

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  It's my understanding it's fairly well controlled since it's their extranet wiki for development. I'm not going to say this is a smoking gun, but it's very odd that it showed up all the same.
                  My judgement comes from checking out the history of that page. The user "Lighting" registered and made exactly one change on the wiki, plopping in that "confirmed" back-reference. I don't know how others see this but people registering just to post a shady link doesn't sound very well controlled to me. But that might be my impression. Not the first time I've seen shady stuff going on in that Wiki. I fell victim to one such act myself so I would not trust this place that much.

But yeah, it doesn't really matter in the end as there is anyways no result yet. I still think though that Gabe is not too font of Linux on the client side of life but that's my understanding of his "flag switching" politics :P

Comment

• Yesterday I have found one article in PC World written by J. Vaughan-Nichols. This person we all can trust, and one sentence in his article says :
                    The Steam Linux client is already available in a closed beta.

Furthermore there was a steam client announcement last days with the following entry
                    7/7/2010 -Linux port made available for testing
                    . But few hours later this sentence was removed from the announcement Here is the the cached link on google But I am sure the steam client for Linux is just around the corner.

Comment

• J. Vaughan-Nichols ? That name doesn't ring any bells. And which kind of announcement (or where)?

Comment

Working...
                      X