Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kilis View Post
    Yes it will!!! Hell yeah!! http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w...am_under_Linux
    "Please note: Games run with these methods will be slower than running them on Windows because the games are not native executable files. To get the best performance we will need to wait for Valve to release a native Steam client (which is now confirmed). "
    Which uses Phoronix as "confirmation" which brings us back to the current situation; is Phoronix hyping a proof-of-concept or will something actually come out at the end of (presumably) northern hemisphere summer?

Comment

• Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
      I think once Valve gets 100% comfortable with distributing/supporting games on Mac, They will really focus on getting HL2 games and the steam client completely ready for Linux.

Most likely, Valve is going to pull a Blizzard and make a native Linux client then decide its not worth supporting and never release it... I hope that doesn't happen!
      I doubt it. They dislike Linux. For hosting games they had to accept it since Unix is simply the standard on server systems but what goes for the client they showed clearly they hate Linux. It's astonishing they even experimented with a client but that's just the front-end (steam).

Comment

• Hi guys. I'm new here.

If U really want to know if Steam is coming to Linux see:

And look at 4-th point in RESPONSIBILITIES

I think this solves all questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valve
          Senior Software Engineer

Description
          Lead engineer and architect on product integration into the highly available digital distribution platform called "Steam". Utilize business/commerce background and engineering skills to drive next generation features for software developed by Valve.

Responsibilities
          Develop an understanding of Valve's Internet business and player community and contribute creative web-focused design solutions to improve the experience of using Valve's products
          Manage the operation of large clusters of machines running both Windows and Linux in a highly available system.
          Utilize knowledge of networking technologies and their appropriate use in large scale digital distribution systems and gaming platforms.
          Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform.
          Test, document, and maintain large scale networking installations and their assorted protocols
          oversee and implement quality assurance of applications in house and third party games distributed on Steam?

Required Qualifications
          Bachelor in Systems Engineering (or equivalent).
          Requires two years of experience in systems engineering designing and developing communications software and hardware solutions including resolving problems surrounding real-time and non real time PC- based systems using C++ and network programming algorithms and their interaction with physical devices.
          Svartalf, you should apply! Your experience of porting games to linux must be a huge differential, right?

Here is the link btw!

Comment

• That's been there for years. It's nothing new.

Comment

• If there's any company producing games on this planet that actually cares about their customers then it's no other than Valve.

There are Wine hacks inside the Windows Steam client. There is now a Mac port so the chance of Valve at least trying is very likely. Nobody would care if it is unofficial but hosted on some secret place on their website. In fact, people will praise them for it. Maybe that's what is already happening. Valve even has some note about it on Steampowered saying "We don't support it, however if you install Crossover, Wine or that other old Wine thing then there is the chance you get it running".

I totaly wouldn't be suprised if it was officialy released tommorow. I don't think Michael is blowing this out of his ass and lie. He already said he had inside info but what he showed was the only thing he was allowed to show because that was public. Stop bashing him; you're only making yourself look like a short attention span fool, especialy when it turns out that Michael is right.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                If there's any company producing games on this planet that actually cares about their customers then it's no other than Valve.

There are Wine hacks inside the Windows Steam client. There is now a Mac port so the chance of Valve at least trying is very likely. Nobody would care if it is unofficial but hosted on some secret place on their website.

In fact, people will praise them for it. Maybe that's what is already happening. Valve even has some note about it on Steampowered saying "We don't support it, however if you install Crossover, Wine or that other old Wine thing then there
                is the chance you get it running".

I totaly wouldn't be suprised if it was officialy released tommorow. I don't think Michael is blowing this out of his ass and lie. He already said he had inside info but what he showed was the only thing he was allowed to show because that was public. Stop bashing him; you're only making yourself look like a short attention span fool, especialy when it turns out that Michael is right.
                What? There are over 100,000 replies on the Linux thread on Steam Forums, and Valve don't have the decency to at least deny this bs, thus clearing up Michaels lies. Even if it does turn out true, he still posted an untrue article, citing no sources. "Inside info" my hairy left sack, It's still a wild guess based on some linux libraries hanging around in the steam binaries.

Valve may have experimented yes, but that does not extend to the release of a steam client, where it has to be maintained and supported. The only reason Mac is supported is because Valve realise Apple users pay over the odds for their machines, and are willing to spend it on games. Linux/FreeBSD...not so much. Valve know they can bleed Apple users, due to their reliance on commercial software. Unix users tend to be self
                sufficient, thus it's harder to predict sales.

Anyway, as a Microsoft company, I suspect Valve actually hates Linux, but understands that Unix it is the standard for servers, hence a server and no client binary. I reckon in 6 months time, we will be still wondering about Valves intentions, and no information will be provided. Let it go, Valve ISN'T porting Steam to Linux. End of.

Comment

• Originally posted by the_real_bill View Post
                  What? There are over 100,000 replies on the Linux thread on Steam Forums, and Valve don't have the decency to at least deny this bs, thus clearing up Michaels lies.
                  Bla blabla.

Even if it does turn out true, he still posted an untrue article, citing no sources. "Inside info" my hairy left sack, It's still a wild guess based on some linux libraries hanging around in the steam binaries.
                  Bla blabla.

Valve may have experimented yes, but that does not extend to the release of a steam client, where it has to be maintained and supported. The only reason Mac is supported is because Valve realise Apple users pay over the odds for their machines, and are willing to spend it on games. Linux/FreeBSD...not so much. Valve know they can bleed Apple users, due to their reliance on commercial software. Unix users tend to be self
                  sufficient, thus it's harder to predict sales.

Anyway, as a Microsoft company, I suspect Valve actually hates Linux, but understands that Unix it is the standard for servers, hence a server and no client binary. I reckon in 6 months time, we will be still wondering about Valves intentions, and no information will be provided. Let it go, Valve ISN'T porting Steam to Linux. End of.
                  OK now that I have read your awesome post I amwondering where that proof is that:
                  1. Valve hates Linux.
                  2. Apple paid Valve.
                  3. Valve is a Microsoft company.

I guess you're the one here who's full of shit. Making all kinds of crazy assumptions and all...

So let's pretent Michael is a blatant lying ad-whore, then how are you any better? Hell you're bla bla bullshit is ten times worse.

Comment

• I don't care what you think. My assumptions are only assumptions after all. Hence the word "suspect" included in my post. Phronix is cleary stating Valve is officially porting Steam to Linux, which is a complete crock of shit. I don't claim my assumptions are correct. Phronix does...

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      Nobody would care if it is unofficial but hosted on some secret place on their website. In fact, people will praise them for it. Maybe that's what is already happening
                      This method works for id software, but they accept no liability for the clients. Valve are unlikely to take such a move. It could tarnish their reputation after all. Gabe is an Ex microsoft employee you know. Valve aren't anything like id software...

Comment

Working...
                      X