Page 22 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by GNU/Blind View Post
    Some of the Audigy 2 series didn't have hardware mixing or support at all for a long time. Creative changed the chipset they were using for the original live cards to cut cost. When I say lack of support I wasn't saying that there was no support for hardware mixing at all. There are a lot of chipsets that have great hardware mixing support in the kernel but there are a lot that do not. Last I read X-Fi support all together was a pile of cocks.
    Sorry but the x-fi alsa driver modules do hardware mixing pretty well. And, actually, they work almost flawlessy.

For instance, nowadays it's pretty uncommon to find sound cards with hardware mixing...

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Desktops and laptops: those things that you have to buy to make documents (over glorified typewriters) and they don't influence shit.
    Except for the fact nothing beats a nice physical keyboard. Hell even the trackpad is better than a touchscreen. I don't know but I think it takes a lot less effort using these than a touchscreen...

Quote Originally Posted by Adriano ML View Post
    Sorry but the x-fi alsa driver modules do hardware mixing pretty well. And, actually, they work almost flawlessy.

For instance, nowadays it's pretty uncommon to find sound cards with hardware mixing...
    Mind saying what you did (config, kernel)? I can't use my X-fi properly since the sound is crackling using the X-fi alsa driver... and with GenToo I get the newest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Mind saying what you did (config, kernel)? I can't use my X-fi properly since the sound is crackling using the X-fi alsa driver... and with GenToo I get the newest.
    In opensuse, I didn't do anything. Plugged it in and "It just worked (tm)"

well, that's somewhat unexpected. which X-fi did ya get? I have the X-Fi Platinum, from the first "generation". It's really all working without any intervention.

I can only think of the "fake" x-fi (those which do not include the real x-fi chip, only the brand) to be troublesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriano ML View Post
    well, that's somewhat unexpected. which X-fi did ya get? I have the X-Fi Platinum, from the first "generation". It's really all working without any intervention.

I can only think of the "fake" x-fi (those which do not include the real x-fi chip, only the brand) to be troublesome.
    It's an "X-fi 1024 Players Choice". As far as I remember it's somewhere around the platinum too, below it though.

Tried out a newer kernel version. Seems the crackling is gone there but no 5.1 support. KDE-4 shows 3 X-fi devices which seem to map to front, surround and side speakers. Some way to force ALSA to use a 5.1 scheme for X-fi?

Tried out a newer kernel version. Seems the crackling is gone there but no 5.1 support. KDE-4 shows 3 X-fi devices which seem to map to front, surround and side speakers. Some way to force ALSA to use a 5.1 scheme for X-fi?
    Might try running alsamixer, there may be some "check boxed" toggles that you have to enable/disable.

Quote Originally Posted by GNU/Blind View Post
    Might try running alsamixer, there may be some "check boxed" toggles that you have to enable/disable.
    Nope, everything is alright there. I can test the different X-fi devices KDE4 shows me and the front and surround jacks on the back give sound but the side one jack stays silent. 5.1 definitely works properly if ALSA driver doesn't mess up since the Realtek (onboard) I used so far gives 5.1 without a problem showing only one device in KDE4. Looks like x-fi driver problem.

Nope, everything is alright there. I can test the different X-fi devices KDE4 shows me and the front and surround jacks on the back give sound but the side one jack stays silent. 5.1 definitely works properly if ALSA driver doesn't mess up since the Realtek (onboard) I used so far gives 5.1 without a problem showing only one device in KDE4. Looks like x-fi driver problem.
    When you play a mp3 file does the front left and right work with the sub? If so, this is normal, try firring up a dvd with 5.1 sound. also check to see if whatever you are using for a dvd player has sound preferences that allows you to set 5.1 as an option.