Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All that time i`ve been using linux and wanted to play..

This is great news and good when thinging linux gamers

Thank you Valve! :P

Comment

• If you ask me, which you didn't but I will answer, Id software is failing, I don't see rage as being an even decent game. Id software makes games to sell their engine, this has been true from at least quake 2 on. Problem is not many if any have bought into their doom 3 engine+, ultimately leading to the ZeniMax purchase.

On Linux audio, to anyone that says the state of Linux audio is a mess, they are right. Honestly when distros used to run alsa with oss compatibility it was better(because most hardware did its own mixing back then), but this is how things have evolved, especially with non-hardware based mixing sound cards and lack of support for hardware mixing in Linux modules. I compare it to winmodems, for now I think pulse audio does the best it can with the state of audio hardware and module support. SDL does its job well for interfacing with pulse audio but its still interfacing with a shit pile.

For some reason I can't get my mic to work in windows vista, I haven't installed the intel audio drivers and panel stuff but I would assume that the default windows driver would be able to handle mic's, I'm thinking its another step towards closing the analog loophole, but thats probably just my tinfoil hat melting into my brain because of the frustration and anger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        . But, in the end, it's NOT EA like you keep harping on about there.
        Your right, I don't follow game development like it is a religion. Just use sed to replace ea with zenimax.

Comment

• > lack of support for hardware mixing in Linux modules.

and that is why hw mixing works so well on my Audigy2. Must be all the lacking

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Your right, I don't follow game development like it is a religion. Just use sed to replace ea with zenimax.
            No needing to follow it like a religion deanjo. But if you're going to be going on about it like you are, you could do everyone the favor of being a little more accurate. If not, you're just trolling.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
              > lack of support for hardware mixing in Linux modules.

and that is why hw mixing works so well on my Audigy2. Must be all the lacking
              Some of the Audigy 2 series didn't have hardware mixing or support at all for a long time. Creative changed the chipset they were using for the original live cards to cut cost. When I say lack of support I wasn't saying that there was no support for hardware mixing at all. There are a lot of chipsets that have great hardware mixing support in the kernel but there are a lot that do not. Last I read X-Fi support all together was a pile of cocks.

Comment

• @Gnu/Blind:
                There is no cutting the analog hole. Realy.

The day that earbuds with mini-jacks disapear is the day that Microsoft will steal back the Apple marketshare, which is never.

Market analasys (I love them):
                Android phones growing marketshare is 90%, and realy, I see Androids around me like it was Nokia back in the 90's.
                iPhone hype is gone in RL. Static market for these devices.
                Microsoft fired the entire Windows mobile dev team (marketshare must have been realy good...).

MP3 players are dead; everybody (except me) uses their Android/iPhone.

Desktops and laptops: those things that you have to buy to make documents (over glorified typewriters) and they don't influence shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by GNU/Blind View Post
                  Last I read X-Fi support all together was a pile of cocks.
                  No issues here with an X-Fi plat.

Comment

• Originally posted by GNU/Blind View Post
                    Some of the Audigy 2 series didn't have hardware mixing or support at all for a long time. Creative changed the chipset they were using for the original live cards to cut cost. When I say lack of support I wasn't saying that there was no support for hardware mixing at all. There are a lot of chipsets that have great hardware mixing support in the kernel but there are a lot that do not. Last I read X-Fi support all together was a pile of cocks.
                    Sorry but the x-fi alsa driver modules do hardware mixing pretty well. And, actually, they work almost flawlessy.

For instance, nowadays it's pretty uncommon to find sound cards with hardware mixing...

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      Desktops and laptops: those things that you have to buy to make documents (over glorified typewriters) and they don't influence shit.
                      Except for the fact nothing beats a nice physical keyboard. Hell even the trackpad is better than a touchscreen. I don't know but I think it takes a lot less effort using these than a touchscreen...

Comment

Working...
                      X