Page 2 of 111 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

I'll wait until I see it on valve's site too before opening up the booze, but if this is really it, it might be the greatest news for linux on the desktop this year.

Go Valve and Steam!

Don't want to spoil the party but where does Valve confirm a native Source engine?

Still, I hope that happens. The only downside might be that lots of people will need to switch to fglrx for that, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Still, I hope that happens. The only downside might be that lots of people will need to switch to fglrx for that, I guess.
    Short term maybe, but not in the long run. I have played quite a few Source titles in Wine, using Mesa.

uhm where is it official?

omg, it's actually downloading and after some experiments it falls into endless update loop :/

looks like we only need the bootstrapper package somewhere and it will download and setup steam in current dir. it still fails with incorrect library dir being passed, though :/

Like others, I'll wait for official word from Valve directly before believing it too much.

Hi

I've been using linux in workstations/desktops/laptops for 15 years now, but I don't do much gaming. And I don;t do windows. So, please excuse the question. But could someone please, pretty please, summarize what this all means?

I thought Steam was some sort of interface to download binary-only games on Windows. But it seems that I was off. And it seems they also develop a games engine?

Very many thanks in advance, I'd love to have a reason to be happy (it's cold, dark and rainy here, today ).

Default This is great!

This is amazing news. Hopefully publishers port some games to Linux. My only concern is that I run a ton of Steam games through wine, and I know there only a certain number of those will be ported. Will steam support a wine wrapper for those games not being ported?

Anyhow, this is great news!