Page 109 of 111 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1105

Thread: It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus View Post
    In this article subtitled Valve vs. Apple someone (i think Newell) tosses up the idea of Valve making their own hardware platform.

Now that would make me smile
    Steam Big Picture -- http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/28/st...-picture-mode/ for example.

___

I wonder how Rage on Linux is going to work without Steam..

Some words from an interview of Gabe Newell:

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Newell
    "Russia now outside of Germany is our largest continental European market," said Newell, adding that "the people who are telling you that Russians pirate everything are the people who wait six months to localize their product into Russian."

"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. Itís by giving those people a service thatís better than what theyíre receiving from the pirates," he said.

i do not think as "Gabe Newell" when he said " giving those people a service thatís better than what theyíre receiving from the pirates"
    the bug of steam is that it spies players all time , player has no control on that and can not oblige steam.exe to stop doing that . it is called achievements but also connections , time playing , friends ....
    with some few files then no steam is needed to play ;']
    i use steam.exe nearly only to update my files . it is unbearable that live privacy is a way of earning money , moreover when it touches young children that are not aware of that .

Gabe Newell "The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. Itís by giving those people a service thatís better than what theyíre receiving from the pirates,"
    Exactly. And thats the problem with DRM ... it's an anti-service.
    So Steam walks a fine line - being both a software buying service, and DRM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus View Post
    Exactly. And thats the problem with DRM ... it's an anti-service.
    So Steam walks a fine line - being both a software buying service, and DRM.
    You took that out of context, he was talking about Russia and the 6 months it takes for localization. 2D Boy released world of goo without DRM and they see between 82 and 90 % piracy rate.

http://2dboy.com/2008/11/13/90/

Piracy happens because people are cheap asshats. Don't be a cheap asshat.

Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    You took that out of context, he was talking about Russia and the 6 months it takes for localization. 2D Boy released world of goo without DRM and they see between 82 and 90 % piracy rate.

what about usa and petrol ? is that not the summit of piracy ?
    i do not know if people are "cheap asshat" , one thing i know from valve : is its weeks update of its "tops games" like l4d2 or cstrike ....
    is it not something made to do anti-piracy ? when "update" happens , all server are flooding console about it....

they are like M$ , repacking the same thing and saying it is something all new . moreover their repacks are always subjects to tons of "security updates" that show how badly they are at work .

at the time of hl/quake3 there was a lot of mods made by non-officials . by now that no longer exists and game-maker is selling some sort of mods using "DLC" name ....

i can also ask about "who s the pirate or thief" when i buy win7 and its dx11 with a new vga dx11 , while all games are made for consoles and a "dx9-card" they have , and so all games are really badly running on pcs .
    is there a refund button click-able at steam.exe ?

like Moliere said " il faut manger pour vivre et non vivre pour manger " that means " he must eat to live, not live to eat "

by the way valve is on pcs market , while all others ways of playing like consoles and phones are having a lot of free games , they make $ only with some adds that are close to dlc . that works very well and have no piracy..... ;']..
    Last edited by jcgeny; 10-31-2011 at 01:43 AM.

i can also ask about "who s the pirate or thief" when i buy win7 and its dx11 with a new vga dx11 , while all games are made for consoles and a "dx9-card" they have , and so all games are really badly running on pcs .
    For sure - microsoft are the real pirates.

Actually - Linux gaming is looking up to me. I've bought Machinarium, Goo and Darwinia in the last few years. All Top notch Indie games, and doing well for themselves (i hope).

Of course it has nothing to do with Phoronix's continued hobby-horses - Nouveau, Wayland, Steam, and Pie in the sky commercial game ports.

Alright... don't mean to necro this thread, but...

Put on your unusual Tin Foil Hats:
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/7785/

- Added initial support for the Community Overlay in Mac games hosted by Wine. Currently validated with The Witcher

Why bother with Wine support...? Combine that with the letter...?

They are a commercial company, they care only for income. This is why they chose the easiest path, not the best - and minimize expeditures.

This is same why americans eat hormone- and antibiotics packed meat(hormones - for animal to gain mass quick; antibiotics - for it to survive such inhumane conditions) or cloned soyabean and die of cancer early. Producing quality is not on schedule of this scheme.

I give 99,99% out of 100%, that the Mac steam version runs on WINE guts.

Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post

In Russia, software often costs way more than hardware (and many legal monthly incomes are below 500$).
    2nd point, for "legal" software russian customers often recieve untranslated versions without any support.
    3rd point was mentioned by the guy.
    4th point, those who cannot afford will never buy. Those who can take gratis will get addicted as much as "legal". This is free PR. For example, if ms really invents 100% copyprotection, windows market segment will instantly drop to 30%.

Final point, if you really read the article, you will understand how completely wild the claim is.