Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spitfire View Post
    OMG OMGOOMGMGOMGOMGOMGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I thought we got over this in the first 30 pages...

If you just read this "news" then don't get your hopes up too much. To save you the trouble of reading all the pages in this thread, just realize that if indeed a Steam linux client is being worked on it is still far away from being released. The Desura linux client will very likely be released first.

Comment

• Originally posted by devius View Post
      The Desura linux client will very likely be released first.
      Oh what the hell ... I'll take it, too.

Comment

• Yeah +1 for both. I already own dozens of Steam games, so if they port the client and "some" games, I'll be fine. Additionally it will finally fix the major issue with Linux: lack of good games!

Comment

• Originally posted by Spitfire View Post
          Yeah +1 for both. I already own dozens of Steam games, so if they port the client and "some" games, I'll be fine. Additionally it will finally fix the major issue with Linux: lack of good games!
          I don't see how porting something that is essentially a e-store application equates into more good games. While it may prompt valve to consider a port of their games (which take forever to come out) it doesn't mean that other publishers will follow along. Without those 3rd parties joining the party you will just be getting the same items available that have been running fine in wine/crossover for years and it still doesn't make linux any more compelling of a platform to port to. If by some chance it did gain support of 3rd parties and we did start seeing quality ports become available we could kiss LGP and Tuxgames goodbye however (not that it would be a bad thing).

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            I don't see how porting something that is essentially a e-store application equates into more good games. ... it still doesn't make linux any more compelling of a platform to port to.
            I disagree. A service like Steam would appear to handle distribution woes to a large extent. (At least insofar as I understand the way the relationship between Steam and developers is supposed to work.) It's not a magic bullet, but it absolutely smooths one more bump in the road. Ultimately though, I believe it will be a question of profit which determines who ports what, where. Steam won't do that. However the data from the Humble Bundles may.

To my way of thinking, Steam would most certainly improve Linux's attractiveness to developers, but to think it alone would fix everything is probably misguided and overly-hopeful. That will require a convergence of several factors. The porting of Source and the Humble Bundle numbers might well do more for Linux gaming than Steam and Desura combined. Getting a native client for the current Unreal Engine would kick ass, too. But as they say, one step at a time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Larian View Post
              I disagree. A service like Steam would appear to handle distribution woes to a large extent. (At least insofar as I understand the way the relationship between Steam and developers is supposed to work.) It's not a magic bullet, but it absolutely smooths one more bump in the road. Ultimately though, I believe it will be a question of profit which determines who ports what, where. Steam won't do that. However the data from the Humble Bundles may.

To my way of thinking, Steam would most certainly improve Linux's attractiveness to developers, but to think it alone would fix everything is probably misguided and overly-hopeful. That will require a convergence of several factors. The porting of Source and the Humble Bundle numbers might well do more for Linux gaming than Steam and Desura combined. Getting a native client for the current Unreal Engine would kick ass, too. But as they say, one step at a time.
              Distribution has never been the concern for publishers. It is not like the publishers have said in the past "We can't support linux because it doesn't support boxed or downloadable media". It has next to nothing to do with influencing if a port is done or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Distribution has never been the concern for publishers. It is not like the publishers have said in the past "We can't support linux because it doesn't support boxed or downloadable media". It has next to nothing to do with influencing if a port is done or not.
                That's right. It's a combination of factors that contributes to this situation:

1) there's the notion that linux consumer market is insignificant, which is backed up by the two consumer software giants acting like only the two exist (Apple and MS) and there is no more choice
                2) there is also a certain lack of tools for easily developing games for linux using only open-source or at least linux native software. Having to use "other" OSes to develop for linux isn't helping it get noticed by game studios. Look at how developing for iOS works: MacOS is mandatory
                3) and then there's the notion that all linux users are hackers who don't want to pay for software.

Probably the packaging can be the final nail in the coffin, but not the main reason we don't see more linux games.

Something like a Linux SDK would help, but will probably never happen. Something like Ubuntu SDK or openSUSE SDK is much more likely.

PS: I'm surprised this thread is still going... what the hell??
                PS2: ...and why am I feeding it???
                Last edited by devius; 12 June 2011, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by devius View Post
                  That's right. It's a combination of factors that contributes to this situation:

1) there's the notion that linux consumer market is insignificant, which is backed up by the two consumer software giants acting like only the two exist (Apple and MS) and there is no more choice
                  And is backed by pretty much any type of statistics and surveys.

2) there is also a certain lack of tools for easily developing games for linux using only open-source or at least linux native software. Having to use "other" OSes to develop for linux isn't helping it get noticed by game studios. Look at how developing for iOS works: MacOS is mandatory
                  You can develop iOS apps on other OS's but yes it is easier on OS X but not mandatory.

3) and then there's the notion that all linux users are hackers who don't want to pay for software.
                  Same notion out there exists for even for Windows PC's. That is why most PC games now days are console ports. Very few developers develop with PC only in mind.

Probably the packaging can be the final nail in the coffin, but not the main reason we don't see more linux games.

Something like a Linux SDK would help, but will probably never happen. Something like Ubuntu SDK or openSUSE SDK is much more likely.

PS: I'm surprised this thread is still going... what the hell??
                  PS2: ...and why am I feeding it???
                  Yes the lack of a unified SDK is frustrating for developers. As is having to deal with so many distros that very in the packages they provide and versions. It also means that it does not get the attention that it should when it comes to educating those "programmers to be". Those game development schools and classes primarily concentrate on solutions that can provide the complete package in a neat bundle.

Comment

• Windows 8 will have Xbox Live game service pre-installed. Steam is doomed.

Comment

• So in conclusion Michael‎/Phoronix was peddling a speculation based upon a speculation as FACT *sigh*

Even if/when Valve release STEAM for linux in say 10years time with SOURCE-based games available I am sure Michael‎/Phoronix would then say "see see I called it but noone believe me"

Time to just let lay this to rest. STEAM on linux would be great, Valve would like to provide but have no plans for the immediate future

now stop trolling us on this topic Michael‎/Phoronix its damaging your credibility

Comment

Working...
                      X