Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source Engine OpenGL

Originally posted by Naib View Post
    Valves source engine was ported to OGL a while back
    I got the idea from this

and other site.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
      It's basically a case of limited man-hours, and you apply that to things which will be the most productive for the company (bring in the most money), which is fairly obvious really, and so like a politician's answer, nothing was really said.
      if one thing can be taken from this is Valve have publically announced they want to support linux. Maybe this is where Phoronix got the idea from (some internal source) but then jumped the gun saying it would be he last summer (and standing by that statement...)

so yes STEAM & SOURCE games for linux do seem to be on their roadmap but just shelved indefinitely

Comment

• So essentially Michael has been making scarcely founded statements.

Comment

• Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
          So essentially Michael has been making scarcely founded statements.
          Basing speculation on even more speculation is probably not a good idea.

Comment

• Q3?
            Are you talking fiscal or calendar?

Fiscal year: 3rd Quarter: April 1, 2011 - June 30, 2011
            Calendar year: 3rd Quarter: from the beginning of July to the end of September
            Last edited by snuwoods; 09 June 2011, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
              "Quote Originally Posted by Phoronix Snippet
              There's still some Dampfnudel to be eaten and while they may not make it as good as the Bavarians do, there's some interesting recipes in Bellevue."

there will be a day in the future in phoronix HQ and on this day they will make a meal with "dampfnudeln" and they will make photos and the recipe will be special ;-)

and maybe we got an stream clind for linux then

the closed beta will start in Q3 of 2011.
              I take it you missed the Valve/Steam CEO actually stating himself Steam for Linux isn't actually coming?

You are spouting crap as usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                I take it you missed the Valve/Steam CEO actually stating himself Steam for Linux isn't actually coming?

You are spouting crap as usual.
                Since I do not want to plumb thorugh 103 pages, where is this evidence located on the web?

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Since I do not want to plumb thorugh 103 pages, where is this evidence located on the web?
                  www.gamingonlinux.com the latest post on my site

source: http://www.podcast17.com/interviews/audio/gabe-newell/

Comment

• Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                    I just went to the trouble to fish that out. It's the same information - word for word - as posted above. I didn't see him mention anything but that they've got their fingers in a lot of pots and that supporting a Linux client is a manpower issue.

Gabe never said "we're not doing one so leave us alone about this." In fact, he said that they wanted to have a Linux client.

...Then again he mentioned that he says a lot of things and can't remember them all, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Larian View Post
                      I just went to the trouble to fish that out. It's the same information - word for word - as posted above. I didn't see him mention anything but that they've got their fingers in a lot of pots and that supporting a Linux client is a manpower issue.

Gabe never said "we're not doing one so leave us alone about this." In fact, he said that they wanted to have a Linux client.

...Then again he mentioned that he says a lot of things and can't remember them all, too.
                      Yes that's exactly what I was thinking after having read that. Not evidence, just premature conclusions.

Manpower is a problem and so what do you do when you lack too much manpower to get shit done? You hire. Valve hired Linux devs, while they already had enough manpower for Linux server client development.

And what else? The teams behind Postal III say they want a Linux client. Well... The Source engine is developped by whom? Valve?

So still no clear-, hard evidence as to if Steam is comming to Linux or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X