Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stardock has a steam alternative. STEAM has been established and it doesnt give much more than stardocks or even MS's version.

All MS can do is provide deep integration with say... xbox stuff and other ms stuff but then they run the risk of antitrust.

This will encourage valve to step up their game and with mac client already existing, with achievement as well along with microtransactions and some old classics I don't think this is an immediate threat.
    A linux client will help diverge their income mind to cover all 3 major OS's while stardock and MS only do windows

Comment

• It's Official!

Sorry

If Valve ever do release a single Linux Half-life game, this cheap-skate will buy a phoronix subscription.
      And do a merry jig on microsoft's saggy arse.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevenaaus View Post
        Dude, you are supposed to use condoms. What will her husband think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Desti View Post
          Microsoft starts to kill steam.

Experience the new generation of games and entertainment with Xbox. Play Xbox games and stream video on all your devices.

When Valve do not react now, they will be dead within the next 2 years.
          I don't know a single person that has used a game that uses GFW and doesn't in the very least dislike it. It's a horrible platform TBH and unless MS takes HUGE steps forward they will never be able to touch Valve. The only online store that i find offers more than Steam is imo GoG. Impulse is much better in certain areas but they do occasionally have trouble with new game rollouts(like steam used to back in the day). It's a pity Stardock is unlikely to port Impulse to any other platform any time soon cause they got burned in the past by porting stuff to OS/2 and seem to think that OSX and Linux might eventually suffer the same fate.

Comment

Microsoft starts to kill steam.

Experience the new generation of games and entertainment with Xbox. Play Xbox games and stream video on all your devices.

When Valve do not react now, they will be dead within the next 2 years.
            Here we go;
            to windows user: check your windows updates to be not surprised when you will find the windows live shop mysteriously installed in your PC (and maybe Steam uninstalled as well )

You had your time to find new path, now evertything belong to MS: R.I.P. Steam.

Comment

• Originally posted by alexan View Post
              You had your time to find new path, now evertything belong to MS: R.I.P. Steam.
              Ahem... have you seen GFWL?
              Steam is established, their APIs are relatively clean, and their libraries and services actually work from a developer's perspective. Trust me: unless a miracle happens, Valve has very little to worry about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dodger View Post
                Steam is established, their APIs are relatively clean, and their libraries and services actually work from a developer's perspective. Trust me: unless a miracle happens, Valve has very little to worry about.
                Steam business is (for their own choice) 98% Windows.
                Windows is 100% Microsoft propriety.

98% of Steam business rely on Microsoft fair and free market choices. Too bad for them that Microsoft isn't neither fair or free market.

To play some Steam games you need a Windows Live account.
                To play anything on Windows Live you don't even need to know there are other companies but Microsoft.

Its all about see if Microsoft want it slow or fast: the next windows security update can be released even this evening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dodger View Post

That's what Netscape said before Microsoft integrated Internet Explorer.

Comment

That's what Netscape said before Microsoft integrated Internet Explorer.
                    There are several significant differences between your example, the most important of which is that steam is free to the end user( or rather the cost is not visible) which makes it a whole different game. Not to mention Steam has earned the trust of a lot of people over time. For MS to eat away at that they have first to gain some trust which takes a lot of time (and requires you to have a decent platform which GFWL is decidedly NOT. If you haven't used it you really have no idea how bad it is)

Comment

• Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
                      There are several significant differences between your example, the most important of which is that steam is free to the end user( or rather the cost is not visible) which makes it a whole different game. Not to mention Steam has earned the trust of a lot of people over time. For MS to eat away at that they have first to gain some trust which takes a lot of time (and requires you to have a decent platform which GFWL is decidedly NOT. If you haven't used it you really have no idea how bad it is)
                      Then take a look back in the '94~98 who earned the trust and what did happen next

The "blue" Windows Update bomb

Comment

Working...
                      X