Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To address the many emails/inquiries from today, aside from the individualized emails I have provided on the matter, I will simply say Valve is still working on the Linux client and it is still coming. It may not be delivered on Valve's original time-line (end of Summer), but by year's end is still not out of question. I haven't made a news post of these recent matters though since there will continue to be doubters and those just trying to tarnish the Phoronix brand claiming its for ad views, etc, however, the Steam Linux client is still coming. Though beyond this statement I probably won't answer more until I have something to link to ValveSoftware.com or when there's something else to shut up those doubting this information, just take it as you will. This is just a similar situation to when I had broke the news on the new ATI "Orca" Linux driver back in 2007, SplashTop info, etc etc...

Besides anything that I say or from my sources, it's been independently confirmed by The Telegraph that it's coming, there's been the Steam Linux binaries shown, Steam continues to hire Linux engineers (they don't need that many for a server port, you've likely seen all the work done by Ryan "Icculus" Gordon for Linux server ports that he has individually done for major game titles), to this day you can continue to find Valve's Chris Green of recruiting saying they are really looking for Linux engineers (such as on LinkedIn), etc etc. [Not to mention that Valve was very quiet about the OS X client up until their closed beta was quite soon.]

Michael
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
      To address the many emails/inquiries from today, aside from the individualized emails I have provided on the matter, I will simply say Valve is still working on the Linux client and it is still coming. It may not be delivered on Valve's original time-line (end of Summer), but by year's end is still not out of question. I haven't made a news post of these recent matters though since there will continue to be doubters and those just trying to tarnish the Phoronix brand claiming its for ad views, etc, however, the Steam Linux client is still coming. Though beyond this statement I probably won't answer more until I have something to link to ValveSoftware.com or when there's something else to shut up those doubting this information, just take it as you will. This is just a similar situation to when I had broke the news on the new ATI "Orca" Linux driver back in 2007, SplashTop info, etc etc...

Besides anything that I say or from my sources, it's been independently confirmed by The Telegraph that it's coming, there's been the Steam Linux binaries shown, Steam continues to hire Linux engineers (they don't need that many for a server port, you've likely seen all the work done by Ryan "Icculus" Gordon for Linux server ports that he has individually done for major game titles), to this day you can continue to find Valve's Chris Green of recruiting saying they are really looking for Linux engineers (such as on LinkedIn), etc etc. [Not to mention that Valve was very quiet about the OS X client up until their closed beta was quite soon.]

Michael
      this gif makes me undesrtand what Micheal just said or feels

Comment

• New proof :

http://valvesoftware.com/company/people.html

Alfred Reynolds

Software Developer
        Alfred joined Valve as a software engineer in 2002. Since his arrival, he has contributed to the development of Counter-Strike, Half-Life 2, and Steam. He also does his best to maintain the Linux ports of our games. Most recently, he lead the Steam development efforts to bring third party applications to the leading online distribution platform. Prior to his arrival at Valve Alfred worked for an Australian research organization and would be forced to kill anyone who discovered the true nature of his work there. He was also to blame for starting plugins on Half-Life servers, in particular creating Admin Mod.

Comment

• Having insider info that contradicts official statements is a great thing. But presenting it with an "It's official!" headline is just not the ideal way to use it.

Comment

• Originally posted by madrang View Post
            He also does his best to maintain the Linux ports of our games.
            See that word maintain? It means to keep up or carry on. There are linux ports of Valve games server wise. Nobody is disputing that.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              See that word maintain? It means to keep up or carry on. There are linux ports of Valve games server wise. Nobody is disputing that.
              Exactly. And for the doubters, just google the guys name. The results have hlds (which I believe stands for Half-Life Dedicated Server ) written all over them.

Comment

• server side?

Comment

• hmm

So it has been what, THREE MONTHS or so and nothing new about this? I am guessing this is gonna turn out like Loki Games...

Comment

• Originally posted by ap90033 View Post
                    So it has been what, THREE MONTHS or so and nothing new about this? I am guessing this is gonna turn out like Loki Games...
                    For God's sake, Valve didn't say they were writing Linux support and they explicitly said they're not writing Linux support. How can it be anything like Loki Games?

Comment

Working...
                    X