Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Siggraph Half-Life 3 technology screenshot: http://www.halflife3source.com/wp-co...demo_rumow.jpg
    There's no reason why the next CS wouldn't use it...
    Rumoured, leaked, probably actually fake screenshots. Again, nothing to be excited about.
    here states that it will run on a modified Source engine (which in all likelyhood simply means the latest iteration of updates they've put into it).

Comment

• If it's not fake then it's horrible, way way way too much bloom lighting!

Comment

• I might have Steam goin

I updated my intel Macbook to OS X 10.5.8.

Five dollar games .... Hmmm, it's tempting.

But non-console gaming is on the nose i reckon. Macbooks and desktop macs only account for 30% of apples revenue i think,
        and Lion is a step towards dumbing the whole OS down to the level of iOS.

On my linux box, i'll be lucky if they make a half-working flash port of The Binding of Isaac.

Comment

• Hardware platform ?!

In this article subtitled Valve vs. Apple someone (i think Newell) tosses up the idea of Valve making their own hardware platform.

If Valve were to make a hardware platform, it would open it up to competing distribution systems because openness is important to the future of the entertainment industry, he said.
          Now that would make me smile

Comment

• Originally posted by stevenaaus View Post
            In this article subtitled Valve vs. Apple someone (i think Newell) tosses up the idea of Valve making their own hardware platform.

Now that would make me smile
            Steam Big Picture -- http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/28/st...-picture-mode/ for example.

___

I wonder how Rage on Linux is going to work without Steam..

Comment

• Some words from an interview of Gabe Newell:

Originally posted by Gabe Newell
              "Russia now outside of Germany is our largest continental European market," said Newell, adding that "the people who are telling you that Russians pirate everything are the people who wait six months to localize their product into Russian."

"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It?s by giving those people a service that?s better than what they?re receiving from the pirates," he said.

Comment

• i do not think as "Gabe Newell" when he said " giving those people a service that?s better than what they?re receiving from the pirates"
                the bug of steam is that it spies players all time , player has no control on that and can not oblige steam.exe to stop doing that . it is called achievements but also connections , time playing , friends ....
                with some few files then no steam is needed to play ;']
                i use steam.exe nearly only to update my files . it is unbearable that live privacy is a way of earning money , moreover when it touches young children that are not aware of that .

Comment

• Gabe Newell "The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It?s by giving those people a service that?s better than what they?re receiving from the pirates,"
                  Exactly. And thats the problem with DRM ... it's an anti-service.
                  So Steam walks a fine line - being both a software buying service, and DRM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevenaaus View Post
                    Exactly. And thats the problem with DRM ... it's an anti-service.
                    So Steam walks a fine line - being both a software buying service, and DRM.
                    You took that out of context, he was talking about Russia and the 6 months it takes for localization. 2D Boy released world of goo without DRM and they see between 82 and 90 % piracy rate.

Piracy happens because people are cheap asshats. Don't be a cheap asshat.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                      You took that out of context, he was talking about Russia and the 6 months it takes for localization. 2D Boy released world of goo without DRM and they see between 82 and 90 % piracy rate.

Piracy happens because people are cheap asshats. Don't be a cheap asshat.
                      what about usa and petrol ? is that not the summit of piracy ?
                      i do not know if people are "cheap asshat" , one thing i know from valve : is its weeks update of its "tops games" like l4d2 or cstrike ....
                      is it not something made to do anti-piracy ? when "update" happens , all server are flooding console about it....

they are like M$ , repacking the same thing and saying it is something all new . moreover their repacks are always subjects to tons of "security updates" that show how badly they are at work .

at the time of hl/quake3 there was a lot of mods made by non-officials . by now that no longer exists and game-maker is selling some sort of mods using "DLC" name ....

i can also ask about "who s the pirate or thief" when i buy win7 and its dx11 with a new vga dx11 , while all games are made for consoles and a "dx9-card" they have , and so all games are really badly running on pcs .
                      is there a refund button click-able at steam.exe ?

like Moliere said " il faut manger pour vivre et non vivre pour manger " that means " he must eat to live, not live to eat "

by the way valve is on pcs market , while all others ways of playing like consoles and phones are having a lot of free games , they make $ only with some adds that are close to dlc . that works very well and have no piracy..... ;']..
                      Last edited by jcgeny; 31 October 2011, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X