Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well... the hl.sh file in CSS beta is even newer than this interview so i think they only are under a nda and work on the source engine for linux.

Comment

• well... the hl.sh in CSS beta is even newer than this post so i really think they are under a nda and work on a port for the source engine for linux.

Comment

• And this is why I don't trust phoronix.

Comment

• I'm dubious of Lombardi's statement.
          There have been so many references and evidence, that I can only take his statement with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Well the exact phrase leaves some room for speculations. Maybe the have just stopped the current development for the time being, or it's not them but a third party working on it... etc.

But to be honest, I don't think we should get our hopes too high.

It's a pity though that the Mac OpenGL renderer isn't available for the windows version, as that would really speed up running source games with WINE

Comment

• Originally posted by Julius View Post
              It's a pity though that the Mac OpenGL renderer isn't available for the windows version, as that would really speed up running source games with WINE
              I doubt Microsoft would like it very much if it was.

Comment

@Svartalf:
                You can see this btw in many remarks about Linux ports, that due to the myriads of different Linux systems official support is too difficult, meaning for the profits that could be made its still too costly (id is a case in point as they don't officially support Linux).
                And, they'd be wrong. It's not "too costly" if you know what you're doing. I've done it twice and about to do it a third time, with the prospects of much more coming down the pike. It's not all that hard- and while I would like to think I'm pretty clever, it's not rocket science after all. I'd hate to think that iD couldn't manage what I've done- or any other major studio you'd care to mention. And if it's too "expensive" in light of the fact that you don't need to spin custom binaries for each and every distribution, I'd challenge that they're operating too close to margins and they're going to go "poof" at any moment. Some studios might be there, most honestly won't be.

In truth, it's more an excuse that they can't do it or see the profit in doing it. They even have something to point to in the past that we failed ourselves on. Q3:A could've been the start of greater things, but because of a logistics screwup on Loki's part, coupled with pressing entirely too many units and people being absolutely unwilling to wait roughly TWO weeks on the rollout of the game for LINUX, we lost Loki Games, lost the opportunity to have sold enough units to caught the attention of the games industry back then.

It's brought up, much like any of the other excuses, because they don't know the OS, think it's rampant with piracy ("They didn't pay for their OS, so why do we think they'll pay for our game?" Never mind that much of the customer base they're selling to pirated Windows in the first place...), they need to outsource the development and that's expensive, and so on and so forth.

So far, there's several Indies that've seen different stories to the ones we've all seen given out by all the other players- and those aren't flukes. And, more to the point, if you're wanting to target one of the mainline smartphone OSes (and you'd be talking Linux, as MeeGo, WebOS, and Android (yes, even Android...) are intrinsically programming to Linux on ARM) you're going to be giving serious considerations to Linux game development- at least for the main growth areas in the games industry.

As it is, I'm contemplating yet another thing, much like the wishlist threads were done in an attempt to change the nature of the game, that might take many of those excuses away. I'm quite honestly tired of hearing "there's too many distributions" and things like it from producers of software. It's flatly not true.

Comment

Well the exact phrase leaves some room for speculations. Maybe the have just stopped the current development for the time being, or it's not them but a third party working on it... etc.
                  Try third party, most likely. At least one of their licensees that intends on using Steam and Source has stated they'd ship a Linux version and they've not corrected the statements at this time.

But to be honest, I don't think we should get our hopes too high.
                  Heh... I've been telling people that for a while now. It's easier on the state of mind when it doesn't happen and you can be pleasantly surprised if it does. There's enough info to indicate that there might be something in the works, but it's significantly off in the future that the statements made could be wholly true or that they've got independent contractors doing the work and they haven't gotten there yet.

It's a possibility that it'd be a nice thing if we get things like Steam- but it's not the big thing people are making it to be. There's more important things to get going and I'm just going to adopt a wait-and-see attitude on things here- which is what EVERYONE, hopeful and not, should be doing here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    ...It's a possibility that it'd be a nice thing if we get things like Steam- but it's not the big thing people are making it to be. There's more important things to get going and I'm just going to adopt a wait-and-see attitude on things here- which is what EVERYONE, hopeful and not, should be doing here.
                    Sure, but what irks me (and a lot others here) is the headline Michael chose, "It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!", making waves throughout the Linux community, when it's anything but official. I know this site uses sensationalism a lot and this exact point have been discussed already, but the way information has been handled is worse than what happened to NWN or even the cancellation of UT3, IMO.

Ok, we might get a Linux port of Source Engine with Postal 3 (and maybe it's Running With Scissors that's handling the port?) and I will gladly wait until that is OFFICIAL, but Phoronix ends up being "the boy who cried wolf"...

Comment

• Even when there is code that shows the possibility of a port it is by no means a guarantee. Serious Sam 2 for example even had public betas and a final version never did appear for example.

Comment

Working...
                      X