Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting isn't it.

Comment

• You realise that is basically someones wish list? Anyone can go and register a blueprint - that's the point of launchpad.

It means nothing.

Comment

• OK, I uninstalled steam on wine when this article first appeared telling myself that I'd wait for a native version before I'd play again... Soooo..... is it time to give up and reinstall via wine yet? or should i hold out till xmas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
          OK, I uninstalled steam on wine when this article first appeared telling myself that I'd wait for a native version before I'd play again... Soooo..... is it time to give up and reinstall via wine yet? or should i hold out till xmas?
          wine is practically a supported platform with Steam if the games support it. Probably one of the things that make it both easy to technically port to Mac and Linux, and hard to justify from a business perspective.

Comment

• Originally posted by grantek View Post
            wine is practically a supported platform with Steam if the games support it. Probably one of the things that make it both easy to technically port to Mac and Linux, and hard to justify from a business perspective.
            You know I've never bought a new steam game since I stopped dual booting. Of course I don't know how other people feel, but I'd never buy a game to run exclusively on wine in the hope that it works fine and continues to work fine after patches.

Its why I question the whole idea that wine damages company?s interest in producing native linux games.

I'd need to at least download the game illegitimately to make sure it was working before purchase.

Comment

• Well, that's a bit of an interesting link that. Guess I need to get in touch w/them then...

Comment

• I hope that Steam for linux isn't going to be as intrusive and spyware like as steam was for Windows. Steam was basically the straw that broke the camels back for gaming for me. I really haven't played anything but quake live since. The company did not need the program running all the time, they did not need to know every time I fired up for a single player game. They did not need to be sending information about my gaming tendencies back to their servers.

If steam for linux is something that I run when ***I*** want to update my games or download new ones but then never see again until next time I want to perform those tasks then it'll be a nice piece of software and I'LL PAY FOR GAMES.

When my only recourse is to be treated like a criminal by the company, then I'll do just that. I'll play cracked games and cracked games only.

Comment

• Intrusive software is a separate issue.
                  I want to see games on linux first.
                  Excessive DRM is an issue that affects most platforms.
                  So don't complain about steam on linux.
                  We won't have a chance to spur the linux gaming market otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by getut View Post
                    I hope that Steam for linux isn't going to be as intrusive and spyware like as steam was for Windows. Steam was basically the straw that broke the camels back for gaming for me. I really haven't played anything but quake live since. The company did not need the program running all the time, they did not need to know every time I fired up for a single player game. They did not need to be sending information about my gaming tendencies back to their servers.

If steam for linux is something that I run when ***I*** want to update my games or download new ones but then never see again until next time I want to perform those tasks then it'll be a nice piece of software and I'LL PAY FOR GAMES.

When my only recourse is to be treated like a criminal by the company, then I'll do just that. I'll play cracked games and cracked games only.
                    That's great. But some people don't care about any of that.

I'd rather have a good game and be treated like a criminal then have a really really bad game. Since a good game (i.e. something LIKE COD, just an example, or Crysis) is pretty much only accomplished by a company, due to the vast content and organization required.

Comment

• Originally posted by getut View Post
                      I hope that Steam for linux isn't going to be as intrusive and spyware like as steam was for Windows. Steam was basically the straw that broke the camels back for gaming for me. I really haven't played anything but quake live since. The company did not need the program running all the time, they did not need to know every time I fired up for a single player game. They did not need to be sending information about my gaming tendencies back to their servers.
                      Well, it should be noted that there is several different aspects (and corresponding components...) to Steam.

There's a content delivery service.
                      There's a DRM service.
                      There's a matchmaker service.
                      There's a community component.
                      There's an anti-cheat component.

And so on and so forth.

Not all games choose to use anything other than the content delivery service (Caster is available, for Windows and MacOS, sans any more than classic copy protection via Steam... Elecorn only uses it as a "portal" to sell their content out of and uses the forums as the place for the fans to go...)

While I am not defending the DRM aspects thereof, it's the studio's choice to use/not use the DRM parts of Steam.

Depends on the titles. If we actually get it and Valve's titles (not holding my breath...I turn these funny colors before passing out when I try to on this one... ) then you will see a bit more of the Windows-like issues since Valve uses the DRM and other features to the max.

I didn't hear that...

You EXPLICITLY don't want to be talking that way in any public forums. I can relate about not wanting to pay them if they're going to treat you like a crook- but it's thinking like the aforementioned that has perpetuated and made things like DRM WORSE, not better. You're not entitled to the content, no matter how much you want and how much they treat you like a crook. If you don't pay, you shouldn't play- PERIOD.

Comment

Working...
                      X