Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
    Just one comment to that (which is a good sign imho):

I searched the steam forum in the past (before the hype) a lot of times for questions about linux and so on. Every thread in the forum i found was closed down by the forum admins within days with the notice->we have no plan to support it, therfore thread closed !

now take a look at the steam forum..the post about linux is huge.
    If valve would have no interest in this rumors and would have no plans to bring the client they could shut down all the rumors within a second with a single forum post. But they don't. So, why let all the rumors, the article on this uk newspage etc.. uncommented when i would take only 1 second to say "No interest in Linux for the near future/never" ?

And that is for me the best sign !
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...73683&page=109
    109 pages as of writing. Pretty good.
    Not exactly proof but just another hint for the pile.

Comment

• Guys... calm down...

Just like I said we have options:
      -Threaten to nuke Valves northpole HQ
      -Create a virus that spreads like wildfire on Windows and instals an overclock tool that will permanently nuke every Windows user out of the PC market out of orbit, geniously increasing the Linux marketshare

We shall not be ignored!

Comment

• Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
        Just one comment to that (which is a good sign imho):

I searched the steam forum in the past (before the hype) a lot of times for questions about linux and so on. Every thread in the forum i found was closed down by the forum admins within days with the notice->we have no plan to support it, therfore thread closed !

now take a look at the steam forum..the post about linux is huge.
        If valve would have no interest in this rumors and would have no plans to bring the client they could shut down all the rumors within a second with a single forum post. But they don't. So, why let all the rumors, the article on this uk newspage etc.. uncommented when i would take only 1 second to say "No interest in Linux for the near future/never" ?

And that is for me the best sign !
        I think the reason there is not a coming binary but PR practice. There had been such anti-Linux behaviors in forums at other publishers too. In the recent times though a bunch of "explosions" happened when people got enraged enough about their Linux talk (which most of the time included Wine) got trashed that they produced quite an uproar. Angry customers is not something to have especially with people getting more pissed due to increasingly aggressive DRM and other so-called anti-piracy stuff which hits only legit customers. Enraging people enough can make them no more buy your stuff and that's something a good business man tries to avoid. I chalk this let-it-happen attitude therefore more to the fact that valve doesn't want to piss off people more than they already did with their various "faux-pas" in the recent history (HL3 delay drama, LfD2 drama to name a few of the obvious ones). So I think you read something into this PR stunt which doesn't exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          I think the reason there is not a coming binary but PR practice. There had been such anti-Linux behaviors in forums at other publishers too. In the recent times though a bunch of "explosions" happened when people got enraged enough about their Linux talk (which most of the time included Wine) got trashed that they produced quite an uproar. Angry customers is not something to have especially with people getting more pissed due to increasingly aggressive DRM and other so-called anti-piracy stuff which hits only legit customers. Enraging people enough can make them no more buy your stuff and that's something a good business man tries to avoid. I chalk this let-it-happen attitude therefore more to the fact that valve doesn't want to piss off people more than they already did with their various "faux-pas" in the recent history (HL3 delay drama, LfD2 drama to name a few of the obvious ones). So I think you read something into this PR stunt which doesn't exist.
          I'm going to graciously assume that Valve is smart enough to realize that the uproar from stringing people along this long without an official statement and then saying that they have no plans for a Linux client would be PR suicide.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            Guys... calm down...
            What you don't like the Pee Wee Herman "I know you are but what am I?" conversations that get started from Michael's articles because he has no direct evidence other than hearsay?

What is wrong with you?!? d-;

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              What you don't like the Pee Wee Herman "I know you are but what am I?" conversations that get started from Michael's articles because he has no direct evidence other than hearsay?

What is wrong with you?!? d-;
              Haha what is not wrong with me? Who am I? Oh... and what is this?

Comment

• Originally posted by KameZero View Post
                I'm going to graciously assume that Valve is smart enough to realize that the uproar from stringing people along this long without an official statement and then saying that they have no plans for a Linux client would be PR suicide.
                No, it's not. If a company does not give an "official statement" that it "supports Linux by making a client" then it is not their fault if none is coming. It would be a PR suicide if you say it comes and then fail to do so (see UT3 drama).

Comment

• Lol maybe Valve did actualy wanted to hype it up through Michael and then stumbled upon some kind of a, uh... UT3 topic and thought "If we don't deliver this then we are majorly screwed if we would release it 2 years late, like we usualy do" xD

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                    For sure because it is not the case that this is an ongoing project with high investment costs. Otherwise they would deal with it differently. That's 100% for sure a mockup of somebody going along the line of "let's see how this could look like". There had been for sure no investment going for that mockup there, seriously not.
                    Most large software project starts with a poc (proof of concept). We can safely assume valve would do a serie of pocs before starting something most of us are hoping for.

And even a simple poc or mockup as you call it, cost time and money. In my book thats an investment.

It's a total no-brainer to pull the plug on a project no money went in yet... and it's the usual course of actions and will be.
                    You don't know about the money that went into 'this' project... I don't either.

But its 'not' a no-brainer to pull the plug on a project no money went into. This depends on the expected results. For example if someone start a project where no money went into and the benefits are huge... than it shouldn't be a no-brainer to pull te plug. This should be at least a hard decision.

Or did they make available more versions of this mockup? I didn't hear about such a thing.
                    This question is 'kind of' the main topic of this thread, welcome to the club

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Depends on the nature of the risks posed by the problem. If you endanger millions on things, I can assure you that the guy in charge will very much pull the plug on something- if only to avoid fiduciary responsibility suits from shareholders if the company's public.
                      "If you endanger millions on things"

I know such a example to:

"if you don't endanger millions on things AND you become the best, rich and most famous company in the world" than a company would NOT pull the plug.

yah I know my argument sounds just as silly as the previous one... but in another context it would sound rather intelligent don't you think?

Heh... You've little good knowledge in that space, yourself apparently, based on the response to Dragonlord here.
                      Wrong

I've been in a similar role in the past and present- I'd pull the plug if it didn't align with my philosophy and posed a major expense with little apparent payoff. So, don't tell me that's why I'm not in charge. As for that company...it's extant, but I'm trying to resurrect it. Why? Because the CFO was caught embezzling investor funding at a critical time and we lost the wind in our sails. At that time, I was just the CTO, but I've been "promoted" since that time.

Depends on whether they're seeing this as an investment or a lark that might just pay off a bit down the line. If it's the latter, you can be assured they'll pull the plug.
                      Okay... I won't pull any cheap ones here, this sound horrible. Sad to hear about your colleagues and yourself. But this example is pretty concreet while the variables in our discussion isn't. I just don't believe any commercial enterprise would pull the plug without solid facts about the risks.

Ofcourse 'If' these risks are big enough I also believe most enterprises would make such decissions. For now I just don't see this. Because valve hasn't announced anything there pretty save and their marketing machine will make the best of it... whatever course they decide to walk. Even now this is good for valve.

Comment

Working...
                      X