Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dodger View Post
    I know Rage is supposed to get Linux binaries, but that's also something that is, I would say, at least one to two years out.
    Rage MAY get linux binaries. Given that EA is publishing it though I wouldn't bet on it. UT3 was supposed to get Mac/Linux ports and they even stated so but that never came to be.

Comment

• TTimo has been very reliable, and I imagine that he would be the one doing the porting in this case too.

id obviously has a very different history when it comes to linux support than Epic.

The only question is whether EA would block the relase of Linux binaries, and I don't see a reason why they would do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        id obviously has a very different history when it comes to linux support than Epic.and I don't see a reason why they would do that.
        Epic had a very different history than Epic up until ut3...

I know that's a silly statement, but my view of epic now is totally different than my view of epic before ut3 demo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Not that I'm for that- but the picture's a bit different than you're painting it.
          In what sense different?

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            TTimo has been very reliable, and I imagine that he would be the one doing the porting in this case too.

id obviously has a very different history when it comes to linux support than Epic.

The only question is whether EA would block the relase of Linux binaries, and I don't see a reason why they would do that.
            Keep in mind that iD is no longer the iD of old as well. They are now a subsidiary of ZeniMax. As it's been pointed out Epic had a very good track record right up until UT3. EA, the lover of consoles, could also easily say no PC version at all and leave Rage on the consoles. Ultimately Timothee Besset isn't the one that determines if a port is done. Much like Ryan Gordon isn't ultimately the one responsible for no UT3 linux client. Remember that MoH originally had a linux client as well which ceased production once EA took over full control. Same thing with Bioware's NWN, once they were sold to EA the chances of a linux client died hard for following sequels.

Intel has done it as well with Project Offset, which at the beginning was supposed to have a linux client but those plans were dropped quickly after the intel acquirement of Offset Software. They were a company full of pro's in linux support (The company was started by S2 Games hall of famers responsible for Savage).

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Keep in mind that iD is no longer the iD of old as well. They are now a subsidiary of ZeniMax. As it's been pointed out Epic had a very good track record right up until UT3.
              Well, in the case of Epic, we're finding out that it's more a thing of not being able/willing to pay the contractor for past work and a desire of doing it themselves. This may not be the case for iD- and it might be. Since the port effort is not under contract for pay like Epic had for UT3, it might still happen.

EA, the lover of consoles, could also easily say no PC version at all and leave Rage on the consoles.
              Remains to be seen EA's not the supplier/publisher ZeniMax is. You'll note that Fallout3 isn't an EA title either.

Ultimately Timothee Besset isn't the one that determines if a port is done.
              That depends on how true to their word ZeniMax is. If they're allowing them creative content, etc. then, if it's on his own time, or as a natural consequence of his regular duties (which it sounds like that's going to be the case...)- it'll happen. We're not sure what's going to happen there- and painting it any other way is intellectually irresponsible, deanjo.

Much like Ryan Gordon isn't ultimately the one responsible for no UT3 linux client.
              Heh... That was not a publisher decision, that was a studio decision and it was more due to being dishonest about money there if the rumors we're now hearing are remotely true. Not QUITE the same thing as what you're painting there.

Remember that MoH originally had a linux client as well which ceased production once EA took over full control.
              Heh... That's been the ONLY thing you've gotten right so far in this rant of yours, deanjo... And you'd be right on that score- EA's not our friend right now- they're too enamoured with console sales and DRM to be willing to at least initially do anything on Linux, even if everyone else was going there.

Same thing with Bioware's NWN, once they were sold to EA the chances of a linux client died hard for following sequels.
              Uh... The chances for following sequels died on the vine when ATARI chose to not do anything but initially try to make an XBox/Windows Exclusive of NWN2, chasing the Microsoft money tree- only to spend vastly more money than anticipated and hurt themselves financially in the process. The chances for anything of the sort kind of died long, long before EA buying them out happened.

Intel has done it as well with Project Offset, which at the beginning was supposed to have a linux client but those plans were dropped quickly after the intel acquirement of Offset Software. They were a company full of pro's in linux support (The company was started by S2 Games hall of famers responsible for Savage).
              Considering that Intel actually DOES Linux stuff, including for the gaming space, I think it's more a focus on what they deem to be important first and foremost in some other branch of the org- basically one hand not knowing what the other's doing and making a muddled up mess of things. More to the point, nobody in this forum knows precisely what they're doing over there at Project Offset.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                In what sense different?
                Well... It's a bit more of an enabler than you'd think. Many indies and top tier studios are familiar with Steam- use it to deliver their content online with Windows. Since there's not been any analog for MacOS or Linux, there's been no impetus to make their stuff more cross platform. No, it doesn't magically make Linux versions, but it takes one less question mark for them out of trying to make the effort to make a title. Now, I like what they've got going on over at ModDB, myself- and it's another enabler like Steam would be; but unlike Steam, it's still an unknown, but also unlike Steam, it's even more Indie friendly so when it's up to speed fully, it should be able to give Valve a run for their money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Well... It's a bit more of an enabler than you'd think. Many indies and top tier studios are familiar with Steam- use it to deliver their content online with Windows. Since there's not been any analog for MacOS or Linux, there's been no impetus to make their stuff more cross platform. No, it doesn't magically make Linux versions, but it takes one less question mark for them out of trying to make the effort to make a title. Now, I like what they've got going on over at ModDB, myself- and it's another enabler like Steam would be; but unlike Steam, it's still an unknown, but also unlike Steam, it's even more Indie friendly so when it's up to speed fully, it should be able to give Valve a run for their money.
                  I definitely hope so. Having an alternative in the rink can prevent nasty stuff from happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                    I definitely hope so. Having an alternative in the rink can prevent nasty stuff from happening.
                    That's my hope there too.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Rage MAY get linux binaries. Given that EA is publishing it though I wouldn't bet on it. UT3 was supposed to get Mac/Linux ports and they even stated so but that never came to be.
                      deanjo...it would be NICE if you'd get your facts straight here. I've already pointed out you were wrong on this one. You MIGHT want get up to date info before going any further.

ZeniMax acquires publishing rights for Rage

An interview with Jason Kim

Now with regards to the interview:

Switching from EA to Bethesda, did that change much of the game?

It didn't change anything on that, actually. Our partnership with EA was great. Our eventual acquisition by Zenimax to be part of the Bethesda family had nothing to do with our discontent or anything. I don't know what people are talking about in that regard. We actually enjoyed working with EA.
                      Bethesda (ZeniMax) is the publisher. It's been making all the rounds in the news sites.

As to whether or not we get a Linux version or not depends on how honest ZeniMax was when they said they'd largely be allowed to do what they want- at least for now. But, in the end, it's NOT EA like you keep harping on about there.

Comment

Working...
                      X