Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
    android is a embedded OS, which is different from gnu/linux OS!

@B15hop: the client showed several problems to run iirc and most were due to some libs... (alpha version maybe) how it would run any game?
    <bzzzzt!> Sorry, wrong answer, thank you for playing.

Android is an embedded Linux distribution with a Dalvik application framework on top of it. The distinction you're trying to make only exists in the minds of the people trying to make it.

You won't get games like Caster running on top of Dalvik so you'll end up with a rather large chunk (99% roughly...) of native C/C++ code bound to the Dalvik remainder in a JNI fashion.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
      Don't get excited about the Humble Bundle being able to be activated over Steam. That's just for the windows and mac users - there's a blog post over on wolfire about it.
      Hope is one thing - but sorry, nothing to get excited about yet!
      Well...then there's this odd post by Hothead over Deathspank being possibly on Linux. Official comment was that there'd be no Linux version until Steam was on Linux.

You typically don't make remarks like that unless there's a possibility thereof.

I know...until Valve says/does something official, there's nothing there- and you all would be right. But I keep seeing odd things and catching the odd bit of info here and there that would lead one to believe otherwise.

Comment

• Oh god you're turning into a believer now too nooooooo :P

Comment

• So here we are. All these months later.

I'm not seeing it are you?

Comment

• Again, it's not stated WHEN it comes.

I even don't get it why this messy thread even gains
            more posts. There is nothing to discuss. Not until
            the release.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rabauke View Post
              Again, it's not stated WHEN it comes.

the release.
              I'm a unicorn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rabauke View Post
                Again, it's not stated WHEN it comes.

the release.
                Ok it's simple. It's not going to happen until there is an ironclad way of saying how many Linux machines there are, capable of running games, are out there.

Now if you want sales figures for the number of MBP's, MP's, MB's and such you just have to poke Apple and they'll spit it out. So you can with a reasonable degree of accuracy what their market share is.

Now did that Ubuntu ISO get used once, twice, thrice or twenty times? Are those machines capable of running HL2 (for example)? Who the hell knows.

Ohhh Alpha software was released... didn't work... then it was yanked the second Valve figured out the public were seeing it. A script in the OS X version mentions Linux, well... it would... that's sensible.

Portal 2 is NOT being released nativley for Linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by SarahKH View Post
                  Ok it's simple. It's not going to happen until there is an ironclad way of saying how many Linux machines there are, capable of running games, are out there.
                  Heh... You've gotten enough of one, not once, but twice now.

I'm afraid that old saw's not going to go for much longer...

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    Heh... You've gotten enough of one, not once, but twice now.

I'm afraid that old saw's not going to go for much longer...
                    Cool. Call of Duty: Blops, Portal 2, HL2, SupCom2, E2. All in Linux native format delivered by Steam for Linux.

Ohh it's a bunch of indies and it's not using a mythical content delivery platform.

Your mistake.

Comment

• TITLE NEEDS TO BE CHANGED

IT IS NOT OFFICIAL AND SUCH THINGS ARE OUTRIGHT LIES

oh look it was Phoronix that started this thread... lies as per usual

Comment

Working...
                      X