Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• his web surfing experience: someone sends him a link via email. He downloads the site with wget and then reads it in emacs.

I am pretty sure he is unable to read any site writing about it, so he can't have anything well founded to say about it. If he even does know about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by tux9656 View Post
      I wonder what Richard Stallman would say about Steam on GNU/Linux with all the DRM.
      Possibly not much as long as it doesn't link against any GPL libraries.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
        his web surfing experience: someone sends him a link via email. He downloads the site with wget and then reads it in emacs.

Isn't this what links/lynx is for?
        I've had to use it several times in the past when my X is broken and it works quite well. In fact, Outlook Web Access works very well on a high res console rotated in portrait mode.

Comment

• Originally posted by gongo View Post

I've had to use it several times in the past when my X is broken and it works quite well. In fact, Outlook Web Access works very well on a high res console rotated in portrait mode.
          I had to learn lynx solely for fglrx in the past

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            Well it wouldn't be the first time for Valve to say that they're almost done with something, only to miss their own deadline by a year :')

I realhy think Michael is right, but Valve is just being Valve again so we'll have to just wait it out
            I hope your right for once V!

Comment

• Originally posted by gongo View Post

He doesn't use any web browser.

Comment

• Originally posted by tux9656 View Post
                I wonder what Richard Stallman would say about Steam on GNU/Linux with all the DRM.
                You could ask him. Most likely he would caution against its use, because of the absolute power Valve acquires through digital restrictions management, and the unfree licensing of the software. He's right of course, and I'm a fool not to listen to his warnings, but what can you do? It's games... on Linux!

Comment

• because of the absolute power Valve acquires through digital restrictions management
                  Aaahhh... power. That's the reason there's no new games. The huge Microsoft gorilla leans on anyone even looking at Linux.

Ah yes, "stream" available to "linus" users. A great trustworthy source they appear to be.
                  Laugh

I replayed the Opposing Force intro the other day, sound through my hi-fi. The chopper drone booming through the bass... nervous troops cracking jokes... alien space craft visible through the open chopper door. What an experience.

Comment

• I were bit sceptic with the pronouncement but this shot me down finally. Too bad it takes time to transform games between platforms. But more important is that big wheel has started to roll But isnt that just normal.

Dunno if you have read but http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html managed to find out that currently valve software is looking for software engineer. And one part of the jobs is to port windows based games to the linux platform.

Comment

• And one part of the jobs is to port windows based games to the linux platform
                      It *would* be great.

Comment

Working...
                      X