Four Indie Games Going Open-Source!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Indie Games Going Open-Source!

Phoronix: Four Indie Games Going Open-Source!

This month there's been the Humble Indie bundle whereby anyone can purchase this game bundle consisting of World of Goo, Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru, and Penumbra Overture for any price they want. Part of the proceeds would be donated to the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Child's Play Charity. With the success of this bundle, they then decided if they generate more than a million dollars in revenues they would open-source the games. Well, they have achieved this milestone!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Best news I heard all day. Gish is one of my favourite platformers!

Comment

This has been a pretty sweet month for for free gaming

Comment

I really hope developers see there really is a marked for Linux and openness.

Comment

How awesome is that?!

I'm dying to get my grubby, greedy hands on the Aquaria source code!

Now all we need is for Ubuntu 10.10 to include one of those games in the default installation.

Comment

That's awesome! I was not at all sure that it would happen when looking at the stats last night... Some serious "bidding" in the last hours I reckon.

No credits to Phoronix here, which only wrote about it after the 1M$ deadline...

Comment

I really think that is a great long-term business model:

"As soon as we've taken ?X in sales we will open source the game."

I think a lot of people would buy the game if there was a decent chance it would be open sourced later.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                I really hope developers see there really is a marked for Linux and openness.
                The contribution break-down is pretty interesting: there were slightly more than twice as many windows contributors as Linux ones, but the average amount was near half for the former.
                Wish they could put some more detailed statistics.

In any case, awesome initiatives, both the bundle and the open-sourcing

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Now all we need is for Ubuntu 10.10 to include one of those games in the default installation.
                  Not sure what you mean there...

Comment

He probably means that they could change the default usually mostly crappy games for these. Question is whether the code is open sourced but the brand stays closed or all is free.

Comment

Working...
                    X