Mac OS X 10.6.3 vs. Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu 10.04 Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    Can you guys run some test with and without compiz enabled? From my and others experiences this can lead to great performance differences in OpenGL games. Especially in wine - as I heard that you want to test wine performance too

Comment

Sluggish performance in 3d with Mac OSX?
      Fix: Increase the resolution

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        I'd like to see some encoding, decoding, unpacking, compressing, computation benchmarks. Speed of creating, deleting, copying files, directories. This is what's important on desktops IMHO.
        Btw. it will be interesting to see how BFS performs in such tasks too, but I know all of this takes much of time. Maybe just some quick run in the near future?

Comment

Originally posted by Enrox View Post
          Vista-bashing in 2010 is quite pathetic.
          Games on Vista get about the same FPS as XP or Windows 7, sometimes more sometimes less but overall it's the same.
          Same or not maybe there are dudes aroubd who would love to see proof of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            Here you go:

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              interesting...

Comment

The early DX10 drivers that came out with Vista were poorly optimized and the reason a lot of people still think gaming on Vista is slow. If you stick a recent driver on Vista it runs about the same as Win7 (the Vista service packs also helped a lot)

Comment

On the Server results could be worse
                  And let it be worse

I'd like to see some encoding, decoding, unpacking, compressing, computation benchmarks. Speed of creating, deleting, copying files, directories. This is what's important on desktops IMHO.
                  Up do a certain point. To be 10-20% faster or slower in file operations doesn't make any difference on a client, if you need performances you won't get them replacing the OS... but simply replacing the hardware.
                  Do you need to read or to write at 250 MB/s or more? Just get a couple of SSDs in raid 0. End of story.

Computation benchmarks? It's just a CPU bound issue, what could you expect? A 50% difference between Ubuntu and Windows? No way, it might end up to less then 5%... again, it doesn't make any real difference.

Benchmarks are meaningful to compare a new software version to make sure there are no regressions compared to the previous version, doing cross OS benchmarks to figure out who is peeing farthermost is pointless

I hope you didn't need Phoronix benchmarks to figure out that GPU drivers are more efficient under Windows 7

I would be interested in evaluating specific softwares on different platform to have a overall result of the application software + the operating system. Example: Photoshop on OS X and Windows 7. Not to determine if OS X is better than Windows 7, just to figure out if Photoshop runs better on one of the two OSs. Very likely it won't and it might be just about the same. And anyway, with different software you might get opposite results, just like different GPUs with different games or different resolutions/details levels.

At the end of the day I need to get the job done, not to go telling that my OS is 3% faster than the competition

So I welcome real user scenario benchmarks of real client software running on client OS... not fake test running server software on a client OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                    There were plenty of those tests to compare Vista and XP (*)... as soon as nVidia got it's stuff together, Vista scored just a little bit better results than XP... so what's your point? We are in 2010 still flaming on things that were already known in 2008? Come on!

(*) Vista users should have been interested in knowing if Vista was doing well against the previous version of Windows... doesn't make any sense to complain if Windows 7 is faster!

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Doesn't run on Linux, thus doesn't matter, thus moot point :P
                      I see your point: don't compare OSs using what people use in the real world... just compare meaningless things like Apache on Windows 7...

Do you get that there might be a reason why on the client Windows is over the 90% of the market share, OS X around the 5% and Linux about 1%?

Maybe... because real people do real things with theirs computer and they don't spend the day running benchmarks ... if a OS can't offer on the client what people need... maybe measuring performances of Apache on the client OS instead of using that time to improve the client overall appeal is a humongus waste of time

Comment

Working...
                      X