Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI dual monitor setup idle power figures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI dual monitor setup idle power figures?

Hello, I'm interested in buying an ATI card for the ocasional gaming session; but since this is a desktop computer that's going to spend most of its time doing 2D (or light 3D -- compiz and the like) stuff, I'm specially interested in the idle power usage figures.

So far, ATI seems clearly like the big winner here.

So imagine my surprise when after browsing this forum for a while, I find out that ATI cards will refuse to lower clocks when a second monitor is enabled. How true is this? Could anyone show or test power figures for any ATI card under Linux (but ofc I'm specially interested in 5670, 5750 or 5770 results which are the cards I'm currently looking at), please?

Also, can I override any automation and force lower clocks (for example ASUS ATI BIOS for the 5750 seems to use 150 Mhz for core and 300Mhz for mem) using the aticontrol utility? Does this work, does it cause flicker on second monitor, or does the increased power usage come from other sources?

4670 is probably the best performance per watt

Comment

Well, according to

a 4850 takes 8W more in idle when running with two screens vs one.

Comment

Unfortunately, I do not know if that 8W figure also applies to fglrx. At least I confirmed that you can indeed lower clocks on NV cards until you start watching either monitor flicker, so I think that will be the case with a Radeon card too.

Comment

More Windows-centered dual monitor figures:

(second chart, not the first one).

Comment

Working...
          X