No announcement yet.

ATI Gets Dynamic Power Management & Profiles Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What will i need to get this going? Not now but when its merged in .35 kernel. Will it be enough if you just update your kernel?
    I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and it would be great if i could get some pm functions with just updating the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Boerkel View Post
      What will i need to get this going? Not now but when its merged in .35 kernel. Will it be enough if you just update your kernel?
      I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and it would be great if i could get some pm functions with just updating the kernel.
      More is explained here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1238129&page=1

Comment

Basically.

You might need to pass a parameter to the radeon drm module or something like that, but that's basically it.

Comment

Our school system really isn't the best (also german) but I wouldn't go so far as to say that the teaching staff is deliberately trying to "hurt" people...

Comment

Well, taking into consideration our recent 'news' this might not be so true for catholic schools... where you get literally (!) fucked up... *sarcasm off*

Comment

The Pisa study isn't worth a thing really, just see how it worked out in Finland :P

Top scores in that study, yet no ability to do maths without a calculator.

Comment

lol, i don't agree with you. It's all about motivation. :P My brother has dyslexia, but now he has a wellpayed job and he doesnt seem to be a robot either. Sure, our school system isn't the best, but you sound like it would the worst on planet...

But really thats offtopic. We shouldn't talk about school when we can talk about Dynamic Power Management on open ati drivers. :P I'm really excited.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Top scores in that study, yet no ability to do maths without a calculator.
                  Then again, things you can do with a calculator are pretty trivial anyway should they lean towards a more mathematical education later on.

Comment

OK, I've finally had time to play around a bit. How do I test whether PM is working?

I have drm-radeon-testing from today, and I've passed radeon.dynpm=1 to the kernel.

I have the Mesa, libdrm and ddx from git.

dmesg says:
                    Code:
                    [    0.536165] [drm] Internal thermal controller with fan control
                    [    0.536329] [drm] radeon: power management initialized
                    But it also says this (much later):

Code:
                    [  441.708267] You have old & broken userspace please consider updating mesa
                    This is what happens:

Code:
                    # echo profile > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method 
                    # echo default > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
                    # cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input 
                    Code:
                    # echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

***** wait for a while... *****

So, it seems to be working. It's not a huge difference, but it's a fanless card, so I guess it does run a bit hot in general.

Code:
                    # echo dynpm > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method

# glxgears
                    3203 frames in 5.0 seconds = 640.533 FPS
                    3735 frames in 5.0 seconds = 746.953 FPS
                    3984 frames in 5.0 seconds = 796.798 FPS
                    3991 frames in 5.0 seconds = 798.084 FPS
                    4217 frames in 5.0 seconds = 843.314 FPS
                    3589 frames in 5.0 seconds = 717.598 FPS
                    3459 frames in 5.0 seconds = 691.586 FPS
                    4012 frames in 5.0 seconds = 802.205 FPS
                    3649 frames in 5.0 seconds = 729.521 FPS
                    3484 frames in 5.0 seconds = 696.674 FPS
                    4091 frames in 5.0 seconds = 817.972 FPS

*** flicker flicker flicker ***

So, it seems to be working. There is flicker while reclocking, and the glxgears numbers are a bit odd, as if it keeps reclocking up and down. I know it's not a benchmark, it was easier to check than OpenArena or something.

Comment

BTW, I get jerky mouse with dynpm, it goes away when I switch to profile pm.

Comment

Working...
                      X