Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Gets Dynamic Power Management & Profiles Too

Phoronix: ATI Gets Dynamic Power Management & Profiles Too

For years we have been talking about open-source ATI Radeon power management for their Linux driver and it's finally all coming to fruition. Back in April of 2008 we talked about dynamic clocks coming to R500+ ASICs and various other initiatives to improve the Radeon power management in their DDX driver, but everything got shook up with the migration to their ATI kernel mode-setting driver, which finally now allows for real power management capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The patches are already in drm-radeon-testing, so no need to apply them manually to your tree.

Comment

Those developers are robots. The rate of progression is stunning.

Comment

WOW!
        this is just awesome.
        btw, how is dynamic volting coming along?

Comment

is this for Evergreen, r800?

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
            btw, how is dynamic volting coming along?
            Read the change/git log.

Comment

dynamic voltage

Here it is, 12 hours ago my most wanted feature was implemented!
              Goodbye fglrx, next time i touch my system you are as good as replaced!
              I would wish AntiAliasing too but right now, it's just enough what I already get.
              THX Alex Deucher

Comment

Originally posted by Lykos View Post
                http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...7506080bf0a4a2
                Here it is, 12 hours ago my most wanted feature was implemented!
                Goodbye fglrx, next time i touch my system you are as good as replaced!
                I would wish AntiAliasing too but right now, it's just enough what I already get.
                THX Alex Deucher
                There's a gallium-msaa branch, so I assume Anti Aliasing for Gallium drivers is coming soon. And the r600 gallium driver within Glisse's repository is making progress.

Comment

Power management, AA, r600 gallium.. It really does seem soon there's nothing more to do

Comment

Just checked out the new tree and at least for me it's a huge step backwards.

It doesn't work at all for me. Fan is spinning like crazy and I don't see any kind of clock reduction at all. Have played around with both power_method and power_profile and neither of them do have any effect on the clocks.

Watching /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info verifies this, the informations stay static all the time.

Switching drm.debug=1 doesn't reveal anything interesting, the pm just does nothing for me.

EDIT: I'm not even getting a overview of the power states like in previous versions of the pm code.

Comment

Working...
                    X