No announcement yet.

Preparing To Let Go Of GTK+ 2.x For GTK+ 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about performance? Are there any indications that gtk3 will end up with better performance than the extremely slow gtk2?

Comment

GTK+ 2.22 will also maintain source and binary compatibility with the existing GTK+ 2.22
      Wow, that is like totally awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegar View Post
        What about performance? Are there any indications that gtk3 will end up with better performance than the extremely slow gtk2?
        Slowness is something I associate more with Qt than with GTK. Got any benchmarks I can check out?

Comment

Originally posted by Fazer View Post
          I believe they meant "wobbly windows".
          That is not Gtk's function. That belongs to the window manager, like Compiz.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            CSS theming for actual apps? Yikes
            QT4 has CSS as well: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/stylesheet.html
            It's actually quite usable.

Comment

Originally posted by nelson.wells View Post
              Is GTK 3 object oriented, or is there still going to be a need for something like gtkmm?
              Gtk has been object orientated for ages (i.e. GObject supports inheritance, properties, etc). You seem to be confusing the concept of OO with the language implementing it (i.e c++).

Comment

Originally posted by Vegar View Post
                Do you have any benchmarks, or any evidence to support that? I would like to file a bug, assuming you are not trolling of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                  I hope they'll improve their theme api - this is really long overdue.

The hacks non-gtk apps (FireFox, OOo, Java) have to do make theirselves gtk lookalikes is horrible and dead-slow. Just a theme api which would allow to draw to cairo-contexts would make it so much easier.

- Clemens
                  AFAIK this was one of the main motivating factors for some of the offscreen window stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by pdusen View Post
                    Slowness is something I associate more with Qt than with GTK.
                    Haha. Ahaha.

Ha.

Get serious.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Haha. Ahaha.

Ha.

Get serious.
                      Stay classy

Comment

Working...
                      X