Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing To Let Go Of GTK+ 2.x For GTK+ 3.0

Phoronix: Preparing To Let Go Of GTK+ 2.x For GTK+ 3.0

As we have mentioned with the first of the early GNOME 3.0 development packages getting checked-in (such as the improved Totem Movie Player), the first GNOME 2.31 development milestone is this week in the road to GNOME 3.0 (a.k.a. v2.32) that will be reached this September. Joining this round of new GNOME development packages that are looking for testing is GTK+ 2.21.0, which is leading up to the 2.22 release of the de facto standard tool-kit for the GNOME desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is GTK 3 object oriented, or is there still going to be a need for something like gtkmm?

Comment

Originally posted by nelson.wells View Post
      Is GTK 3 object oriented, or is there still going to be a need for something like gtkmm?
      GTK+ is build on GObject, so yes it's object oriented. But if you mean by object oriented implementing the API as a bunch of C++ classes then I suspect the answer is no, and you'll probably still need the C++ bindings if you want to write your OO code in C++.

Comment

Originally posted by nelson.wells View Post
        Personally, I prefer gtkmm anyway; it has an interface that matches the paradigms of the STL and Boost quite well. It's a shame that GTK looks terrible on any platform but GNOME, or I would be completely sold on gtkmm as a UI toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by pdusen View Post
          It's a shame that GTK looks terrible on any platform but GNOME, or I would be completely sold on gtkmm as a UI toolkit.
          Have you try playing around with gtkrc? You can get fancy widgets with it, even on Windows. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GTK%2B_By_Example/Theming

Comment

I hope they will fix this bug :

@dopehouse:
            He shouldn't have to play with config files for that (not that playing with them would make a big difference anyway)
            Things like integration with different desktops/platforms should work out of the box with a toolkit you are shipping for those platforms/desktops.

Comment

Theme API

I hope they'll improve their theme api - this is really long overdue.

The hacks non-gtk apps (FireFox, OOo, Java) have to do make theirselves gtk lookalikes is horrible and dead-slow. Just a theme api which would allow to draw to cairo-contexts would make it so much easier.

- Clemens

Comment

Physics? Is this for gimmick stuff or for magnetism of windows so they can stick to the sides of the 'screen' or other windows or grouping?

I'm totaly unfamiliar with this concept =/

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Physics? Is this for gimmick stuff or for magnetism of windows so they can stick to the sides of the 'screen' or other windows or grouping?

I'm totaly unfamiliar with this concept =/
                  I believe they meant "wobbly windows".

Comment

CSS theming for actual apps? Yikes

Comment

Working...
                    X