Hardware Recommendations for NAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Recommendations for NAS

I am taking on a project to building a NAS/Media server using CENTOS 5.4. I've only ran Linux boxes as VM's and it will be my first install on real hardware. I'm trying to compile a list of parts that will give me the least amount of problems and tweaking when installing CENTOS 5.4.

I'd like to keep it small. low power and low cost while still providing a fairly seemless install. I've started researching some motherboards, mostly mini-ITX and some micro-ATX. I'd like room for 2 Gigabit nic cards, room for at least 2 SATA HD's for configuring software RAID 1, decent video out.

Any MoBo recommendations?

Thanks in advance
    ...DE

What for do you need video out on a NAS/Media server?

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      What for do you need video out on a NAS/Media server?
      It might be used for different purposes but it's not 100% necessary.

Comment

Well, both Atom dual cores and the Via Nano boards are in your segment. The main difference would be that some Via boards have dual ethernet onboard; I don't remember seeing an Atom board with that so far.
        Both are well supported, so even an older (cough, enterprise) distro like CentOS should pose no trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Well, both Atom dual cores and the Via Nano boards are in your segment. The main difference would be that some Via boards have dual ethernet onboard; I don't remember seeing an Atom board with that so far.
          Both are well supported, so even an older (cough, enterprise) distro like CentOS should pose no trouble.
          2 of the boards that spark my interest are:

Intel DG45FC - All onboard components support RHEL 5.3 natively. I can add extra NIC to PCI-e 1x slot

Gigabyte GA-6KIEH-RH - Unreal set of features but can't find anything regarding RHEL/CENTOS

BTW - the reason I have to use CENTOS is because I need to become more familiar with the OS anyway because in a few months I have a work project is on RHEL so I have to become more familiar with this distro. I've decided to take on this home project to do so.

Comment

Working...
          X