Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDPAU with the Radeon driver?

Hi,

the oss radeon driver has to implement the video acceleration stuff from scratch anyway so why not go with VDPAU..? Or is there already a vdpau radeon branch somewhere?

Is it even possible to implement VDPAU on ATI hardware..?

I'm wondering this since VDPAU does a nice job on nvidia hardware and the populair linux media players already support vdpau so it seems only logical for the oss radeon driver to support vdpau as well and implement it.

Last thing. What needs to be done to get vdpau implemented in the oss radeon driver?

Regards,
    Mark

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
    the oss radeon driver has to implement the video acceleration stuff from scratch anyway so why not go with VDPAU..? Or is there already a vdpau radeon branch somewhere?
    Afaik the idea is to implement the video decoding as a Gallium3D state tracker so it would Just Work (yeah, right) with all Gallium drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Afaik the idea is to implement the video decoding as a Gallium3D state tracker so it would Just Work (yeah, right) with all Gallium drivers.
      sounds nice more info on that please?

Comment

But as far as I understood that would use shaders and not UVD(2). And shaders are inferior to the specifically tailored hardware. Or did I understand this wrong ?

Comment

Originally posted by Luzipher View Post
          But as far as I understood that would use shaders and not UVD(2). And shaders are inferior to the specifically tailored hardware. Or did I understand this wrong ?
          Not inferior, no. It might have an impact on power consumption but no one knows until someone goes and implements it. (that is, it might be possible the GPU could be in powersaving mode when UVD is used; then again, UVD specs aren't open, VDPAU can be done with shaders and UVD will probably never be opened for already released chips so drooling after it is pretty much a lost cause)

Comment

Ah, thanks for the clarification, nanonyme :-) Sounds good, too !

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
              sounds nice more info on that please?
              More info pretty much is that all required information on implementing VDPAU with shaders on top of Gallium3D is said to exist, no one just has gotten to implementing it yet. Probably will eventually happen, hopefully.

Comment

More info pretty much is that all required information on implementing VDPAU with shaders on top of Gallium3D is said to exist, no one just has gotten to implementing it yet. Probably will eventually happen, hopefully.
                So, if the radeon driver is as far that it supports shaders then vdpau can be implemented right?

And where is the radeon driver now with the evergreen series? Last time i used it it was all software rendering.. not even opengl support yet let alone 2d acceleration support so i guess this wish (vdpau) is gonna take a LONG time to even get to the point where implementation can start

Comment

Better do not try to explain what UVD is, your definition is shit.

Comment

Oh, so there is UVD as well.. There are to much names in the video decoding stuff!

I have, right now, completely lost which video decoding api is "the best" which ones ATI supports and which ones nvidia supports.. i know for certain that nvidia at the very least has vdpau.

Comment

Working...
                    X