Popup ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popup ads

I dont use adblock and I am not going to start, these popup ads that cover the article are too much for me. Normally if I click a link to a site/article and they have a popup or clickthrough ad I will just leave because I am not going to jump through your hoops to get to the content. Ads on the sides and such are just fine though, load 'em up with ads for all I care.

As mentioned in another thread, last month we began experimenting with them as they are providing significantly more resources to Phoronix than other types of ads. However, unlike most web-sites with their welcome screens, the Phoronix version just overlays the page and can be easily closed without having to reload a new page after that. Additionally, the ad is only being shown to each US user just once. Potentially once every 3~4 days, but this isn't like a daily happening as long as you are maintaining the same IP.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

3-4 days? I just got another one and my ip hansn't changes

Comment

What are these popup ads? I'm getting flash ads that cover the article so that I can't read it, and I have to refresh the page to try and get rid of them but it often doesn't work.

It looks like these are wide ads that are accidentally being put on the side of the page rather than the top or bottom. Are these what you're talking about or is this a problem with the current ads?

Comment

Originally posted by ad_267 View Post
          What are these popup ads? I'm getting flash ads that cover the article so that I can't read it, and I have to refresh the page to try and get rid of them but it often doesn't work.

It looks like these are wide ads that are accidentally being put on the side of the page rather than the top or bottom. Are these what you're talking about or is this a problem with the current ads?
          Yeah, this is different than the other popup ads. What you are experiencing is a problem with the ad server/network and my account manager is looking into the issue now as that is indeed incorrectly loading the ad in the wrong locations.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have 4 tabs opened in Firefox and only the second one shows the AD. Here is a picture

Comment

Just read (part of) the frontpage item about popup adds, I couldn't read much of it because there was indeed a large horizontal add that was blocking the content and couldn't be closed.

Details: ubuntu 9.10 (x86_64), using gnome and default firefox (fully updated) that comes with ubuntu. Further my browser uses Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42.

Comment

I got this ad problem a few times now. Always when I visit a page for the first time (at least for today).

I'm from Austria and one time it showed a Kia ad in danish. It reads "Designikonet der rummer det hele danmarkspremiere pa? kia venda"
                The other time an ad for a Bosch washing machine and a Mazda. Always in danish.

The ads in the left hand side menu are also in danish instead of german.

Using Ubuntu 9.04 32bit with FF 3.0.19 using Adblock Plus 1.2 with phoronix being whitelisted and Flash 10,0,45,2

Comment

Working...
                X