Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Highlights For GNOME 2.31.1

Phoronix: Other Highlights For GNOME 2.31.1

As was mentioned this morning GNOME's Totem Movie Player is preparing for GNOME 3.0 by picking up de-interlacing support and a-synchronous play-list loading, among other improvements. Other packages are also being checked-in this week for the first GNOME 3.0 development release known as GNOME 2.31.1. Besides the updates to Totem and the major work going on to the GNOME Shell / Mutter / Zeitgeist, there is some other interesting new features too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh those news are so much fun. I'd like to begin with saying that nothing really changed in the 6 months of development for the Gnome 3 series and that they probably only removed some features.

Well that's what I always do when it comes down to Gnome, so this time, I decided to stick with a: good job, developers, I appreciate your work

Comment

lol.

Kde = advanced open minded users

gnome = we like to stay always behind. we don't like to bring innovation. xfce existance makes more sense than me. I, gtk based that was created because kde was using qt closed at that time, now I use MONO.

Comment

Pretty exciting.

I'll have to fire up Foresight and give these a shot.
        Regarding Evince, it has had a "save a copy" for awhile.
        EoG's svg support has been a real sore spot for me. Until this change, I've had to use an inkscape viewer (or Firefox) to scale an image correctly.
        Something that hasn't been spoken about, as far as I can find, is changing the way Gnome Shell handles the apps menu. Currently they simply put all the apps in an alpha sorted list that is a huge pain to navigate, if you ever have to use it (and presumably one would, otherwise why include it at all?).

Comment

Although I don't buy that gnome-shell/zeitgeist/mutter thing, there's lots of good stuff coming from Gnome devs these days. Even Yelp will become usable in Gnome 3.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
            lol.

Kde = advanced open minded users

gnome = we like to stay always behind. we don't like to bring innovation. xfce existance makes more sense than me. I, gtk based that was created because kde was using qt closed at that time, now I use MONO.
            lol....ur joking... if gnome shell himself is not a innovation, what is? te interface is interesting.. let KDE out of this, dont compare apples with bannanas!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Oh those news are so much fun. I'd like to begin with saying that nothing really changed in the 6 months of development for the Gnome 3 series and that they probably only removed some features.

Well that's what I always do when it comes down to Gnome, so this time, I decided to stick with a: good job, developers, I appreciate your work
              Why would you like to say nothing's changed in six months of development? Because you prefer to be a mindless troll instead of saying something with a grain of truth to it?

Just this week there were 2121 commits in 206 Gnome projects, by 275 developers...

Comment

Actually I don't get why people complain about GNOME looking so bad. I always thought KDE looked like synthetic crap...

And the latest Ubuntu theming quite pushes the limit (well, buttons at the wrong place, but that's beside the point).

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
                  Actually I don't get why people complain about GNOME looking so bad. I always thought KDE looked like synthetic crap...
                  KDE does look like crap, washed out gray colors with buttons and icons anchored to it giving me an immediate brain damage .

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                    KDE does look like crap, washed out gray colors with buttons and icons anchored to it giving me an immediate brain damage .
                    No, you had that before seeing KDE too.

Comment

Working...
                    X