Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Windows 7 Actually Faster Than Ubuntu 10.04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well everyone would choose their own @#$%^ux intead of Ubuntu for testing, but they are minor of the minor which makes the result not reproducible without them being around for installation and configuration and shit. I know the world do not revolve around Ubuntu but it certain less likely to revolve around your little tiny ego distribution.

Comment

Thanks Phoronix/Michael, that was interesting. I agree with others that Linux (Ubuntu in this case) is just as viable as Windows for many people. When you already test closed source games, why not also run Doom3 or Quake4? Really hope you are right about the Valve Source Engine comming to Linux, and not just the new Postal game. Will be interesting to compare more modern games than always ioquake3...

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Not sure how important SPECviewperf tests are when there is only one app in the tests that has a linux version still.
      Well, most highend DCC apps runs on Linux because, you should know, all major CG/VFX studios use Linux. Maya is just one of the widely used ones. These workstation numbers are consistent with what I experience myself working in VFX using Linux compared to Windows.

And what is that bull**** about DCC apps moving to DX?? You must have heard this from a 3DSMAX user who thinks he's 1337... OpenGL is THE workstation graphics API, you can't take Direct3D serious in this space.

Comment

The title is of this article is misleading. Clearly you aren't suggesting that that Windows simply performs better than Linux. Nobody would be running it on their supercomputers if that were the case. Everyone already knows that graphics drivers on windows outperform Linux, and that's not likely to change any time soon nor is there anything we can really do about it until the open-source drivers are at least on par with proprietary ones. This is only a test of graphics drivers though and doesn't tell us much about the performance of the kernel and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
          The title is of this article is misleading. Clearly you aren't suggesting that that Windows simply performs better than Linux. Nobody would be running it on their supercomputers if that were the case. Everyone already knows that graphics drivers on windows outperform Linux, and that's not likely to change any time soon nor is there anything we can really do about it until the open-source drivers are at least on par with proprietary ones. This is only a test of graphics drivers though and doesn't tell us much about the performance of the kernel and such.
          So because linux runs better HPC nodes means it's a better OS? I think you have to set criteria before you claim any thing is better then another. I'm pretty sure that most people here are not running linux for HPC purposes.

Comment

This test was about gaming, so it does not really matter for computing in general. With users of Ubuntu that I know, myself included, we all agree Ubuntu is faster, more stable and safer. This is what counts. For advanced and even professional gamers, Windows is the OS to use. Ubuntu and other Linux distros may close the gaming gap later though this is not that important. For us, Ubuntu has proved its worth in terms of speed, reliability and safety. I am very happy with 10.04.

Comment

DX vs GL tests

I see that deanjo is the only resonable person here ....

GL vs GL benchmarks are only one (and minor) part of graphics performance in Ubuntu vs W7 ... If we don't get DX vs GL comparisons, it's meaningless. Come on ... the majority (I meant 99%) of W7 graphics will run DX (9,10,11) so the tests should include that as well. I'd propose the Unigine tests to be run with correspinding GL/DX profiles (9/10 vs 3.x and 11 vs 4.0 when available). Only then we will see the true picture.

I guess the misc tests will be fine for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovanion View Post
                I would recommend the author of this article to display the results differently once you have the MacOS results in. In this article the graphs where unreadable. There were too many lines and it became almost impossible to keep track of which color was associated with which system and OS, especially if you are partially colorblind.

So I would suggest that you separate the line graphs by system in the next run. Yes it will result in many more graphs, but that also means more displayed ads which for you is a good thing.

The tables were great and actually saved the article from being unreadable.
                Alternatively, show each system in the same color, but show Windows with dashes and Ubuntu with a solid line (or slightly different shades of the same colors, or other variations).

Comment

I have no problem with using Ubuntu, nor with the selection of graphics/gaming tests but the title is extremely misleading, to the pointy of being fraudulent, and I think the first several paragraphs were very unclear. If this is supposed to be a graphics-only comparison in a series of articles comparing Lin & Win then why not use a crystal-clear subtitle or by-line describing that this instalment only compares graphics ?

Comment

Intel Linux

Hay, I have a Intel 4500M Graphics in my laptop, I can play GTA San Andres, NFS Most Wanted, NFS Carbon, NFS Prostreet, NFS Undercover, Call of Duty Modern Warfare by using WINE relatively well and many more.

Dual Core CPU 2.20 GHz
                    3 GB Ram
                    Intel GM45 Express Chipset

Mesa 7.7.1
                    Intel 2.9.1 video driver
                    Xserver 1.6.4
                    Ubuntu 9.10

I think latest Linux Intel driver is not that bad in shape, If we would have a lot of native Linux games then we could know about that.

Comment

Clearly I don't understand why is the article titled "Is Windows 7 Actually Faster Than Ubuntu 10.04?" when only graphics tests were performed? That is just as comparing oranges to grapes comparing the number of seeds.

Comment

Working...
                      X