ATI and Linux compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
    I'm just saying that you shouldn't comment on ATI drivers, if you don't own one yourself. If I didn't own an ATI card running fglrx, I would tell everyone how bad fglrx is for wine no matter what I have read in other threads.
    No you're missing my question. I'm asking why can't an interested observer pass on the experiences and observations of someone who has an ATI card?

Comment

• Have you heard of the "Well it works for me" syndrome.

It's not uncommon to be faced with this when dealing with computers.

"Well it works for me" doesn't help the individual for whom it doesn't seem to work.

Comment

• The thing about only owners can talk was more a joke than something serious.

But you are making your global evergreen image based on other complaints , and some of those are outdated complains. This is obvious and incorrect way of learn about something. Do you realize?

Go to firefox bugs page and you can read thousands of opens bugs, the same to linux kernel, windows, chrome...

Comment

• In this thread 3-4 ati users reported fairly good experiences, and at the moment 0 ati users complains. This is saying something to you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
            The thing about only owners can talk was more a joke than something serious.

But you are making your global evergreen image based on other complaints , and some of those are outdated complains. This is obvious and incorrect way of learn about something. Do you realize?

Go to firefox bugs page and you can read thousands of opens bugs, the same to linux kernel, windows, chrome...
            But when reviewing posts made after Ubuntu 10.04, so therefore with 10.4 final, there are still some issues. At the very least, once installing fglrx it's likely an xorg patch will be required if not the manual enabling of Direct2D which for a start puts it behind nVidia. Then there's GPU video decode but the OP didn't require that in his first post. Regardless of specific 10.4 with native applications issues there's the very relevant topic of wine. If fglrx now performs better than the nVidia's blob does with wine then this IS something I'm unaware of. Where can I read about fglrx's surpassing of nVidia's blob? Can I find this out without having to trawl every post on AppDB?

Comment

In this thread 3-4 ati users reported fairly good experiences, and at the moment 0 ati users complains. This is saying something to you?
              Many report FAIRLY good results, but it's not common to find ones that report an equivalent level of effortless and reliable functionality as provided by nVidia's blob. Many posts are along the lines of a, b and c works really well, but when pressed further will report that d, e and f may have issues or require various patches or work arounds that aren't often required for the nVidia blob.

Comment

• I dont have this patch enabled, i guess is only required for compiz.

Anyway, a linux user is perfectly capable of add a ppa and make an aptitude dist-upgrade. no?

Comment

I dont have this patch enabled, i guess is only required for compiz.
                  Yes I beleive it's especially required when using a composited environment.

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                  Anyway, a linux user is perfectly capable of add a ppa and make an aptitude dist-upgrade. no?
                  One of the results of Ubuntu's increased level of user friendliness is that more and more end-user types are starting to use it. Linux users are becoming more and more less inclined to want to fiddle with things these days which is a very good sign of platform maturity that's occurring.

Of course, there are those who are able to rebuild any aspect of their hardware platform and software platform though. Linux would likely still have the greatest percentage of highly skilled types as a percentage of its user base.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                    Yes I beleive it's especially required when using a composited environment.
                    I should qualify that to say that some are finding a 3D environment as performing faster at the desktop than does a 2D non composited environment.

Comment

• Sorry, this is your point, composite kde4 has a lag when resizing window, i noticed it now. This doesn't hesitates me a lot! But its true.

Well i will try the ppa.

Comment

Working...
                      X