ATI and Linux compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    No, he's asking whether you have any basis in claiming that OpenGL apps do not work under fglrx.

If you listed some examples, then it would be a useful piece of information. It would help people make decisions based on their specific requirements. If you mentioned it, you probably know of some examples, and are not simply making it up.

If you neither know of any examples, nor have experienced this firsthand, then it boils down to FUD.
    Well I consider KDE4's compositor to be OpenGL software for a start and people are reporting issues with it under fglrx. And I also don't intend to spend $500 to for the chance to experience them myself. And with the history that fglrx has had I don't think any reasonable independent person could blame me either.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
      Well I consider KDE4's compositor to be OpenGL software for a start and people are reporting issues with it under fglrx. And I also don't intend to spend $500 to for the chance to experience them myself. And with the history that fglrx has had I don't think any reasonable independent person could blame me either.
      Nice!! you are speaking with more data now!

Well, I use kde 4 since 4.1 , versions 4.1 and 4.2 has really anoying problems. KDE 4.4 is working really fine. Desktop effects too. Have you tried to run fglrx and kde 4.4 ?

Comment

• mugginz 0 - fglrx opengl 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
          Nice!! you are speaking with more data now!

Well, I use kde 4 since 4.1 , versions 4.1 and 4.2 has really anoying problems. KDE 4.4 is working really fine. Desktop effects too. Have you tried to run fglrx and kde 4.4 ?
          Personally no. I've been waiting for 5 months now to buy an ATI 5870 and continue to keep an eye on what people are seeing with their 5000 series cards and fglrx. While my deadline for the card purchase was the Ubuntu 10.04 with 10.4 release, with an intention to buy an nVidia card if fglrx didn't suite my use case, I instead directed some of that money to buy an SSD and again postponed the card purchase.

Ubuntu 10.04 running on an SSD is pretty epic by the way.

I'll continue to keep an eye on things from ATI though. Their drivers are rapidly improving and I hope that they'll soon suite me. I'm afraid I still need to run closed drivers myself whether they be nVidia or ATI though.

Comment

mugginz 0 - fglrx opengl 1
            How so? (10 char)

Comment

• I should say that the reported problems were indeed with KDE 4.4

Comment

Ubuntu 10.04 running on an SSD is pretty epic by the way.
                A little off topic but I am curious, what is the problem?

Comment

• Haven't got the info at hand at the moment, but there was another issue when using multiple screens and having the cursor disappear amongst other things when moving it between screens.

Comment

Haven't got the info at hand at the moment, but there was another issue when using multiple screens and having the cursor disappear amongst other things when moving it between screens.
                    Nice more data.

Are you speaking about multiple desktop, xinerama - eyeafinity? well i have poor idea of those things. Maybe I am wrong:

-xinerama is part of xorg is plenty of bugs and you can have a bad experience on both ati and nvidia

-eyeaffinity is on ati hardware, so xorg does nothing, if you achive to configure it corectly (which I suspect is difficult) you can have a multiple desktop working fine.

Comment

Nice more data.

Are you speaking about multiple desktop, xinerama - eyeafinity? well i have poor idea of those things. Maybe I am wrong:

-xinerama is part of xorg is plenty of bugs and you can have a bad experience on both ati and nvidia

-eyeaffinity is on ati hardware, so xorg does nothing, if you achive to configure it corectly (which I suspect is difficult) you can have a multiple desktop working fine.
                      They were reporting the issue with two screens so I'd say it was just "big desktop" mode.

Xinerama is definitely a last resort for sure and one of the things ATI does better then nVidia (the ability to do more than two screens without Xinerama on a consumer card)

Comment

Working...
                      X