Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's The First Screenshot Of The Linux Steam Client

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
    Yes, although, from further dissecting it, it seems like it has a problem with my 64-bit OS. It says something about 32 bit mode in the strace...

Still, it shuts down after it tries to connect to some servers instead of before, which is further than it was getting. Is there something better than strace to figure out what is going on?
    64-bit is a non-issue, if you have ATI, you MUST be using the fglrx driver.

Ahhh, this is an Intel GMA. Makes sense then

Default Syllable!

Hey guys, I got the Steam client to work on Syllable!

(not really... I just came up with the idea after those people thought the Linux client was "photoshopped")

Quote Originally Posted by nukem View Post
    So when can we get Valve to officially announce this? I'm just as excited as everyone else but theres really no good in just getting the splash screen. I'm hoping phoronix is probing people at valve for an official answer.

I'm also hoping this is out before HL2E3 and Portal 2 are out, I don't want to play it in wine.
    what makes you think they'll be linux native games? the client can just as easily handle calling wine to run them as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by justsumdood View Post
    what makes you think they'll be linux native games? the client can just as easily handle calling wine to run them as you can.
    That's highly unlikely. They stated in the press release when they announced Mac OS X support that they were porting the games over natively because the performance in Wine/Cider/Crossover wasn't any good in comparison. Why then would they go and use something like Wine then for the Linux client?

Anyway, with the Mac ports of Valve's games, they're 90% closer to having them run on Linux then they were before...

It work's in Arch Linux too, so we will not be tied to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Games are probably the most important to Linux to be able to compete on the desktops
    Fully agreed!

For perspectives, do you remember when DVD:s were sold over a counter? And, do you remember the size of the Mac corner compared to the PC corner? Yes, the Mac corner was like five games, vs the 550 games available for PC. With Steam, there there is a chance that Mac and Linux may have chance of becoming gaming platforms. OK, now the console have taken a fearsome chunk out of the market share, making the future a bit more bleak than usual.

Still, Steam is the best chance, ever!

First the Vista fail and the MS Office .docx fail and IE6 death warrent followed by the Apple 'revolution', Linux powered netbooks and Dell offering Ubuntu, KDE 4.4, then eplosion of video editing, followed Gallium gaining serious traction and now Steam and Source comming up and now the Arm servers craze and OpenGL making a serious comeback...

Boy oh boy, exciting times

Windows' de facto monopoly is starting to crack up. Can I yell "Hell freezes over!"?

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    First the Vista fail and the MS Office .docx fail and IE6 death warrent followed by the Apple 'revolution', Linux powered netbooks and Dell offering Ubuntu, KDE 4.4, then eplosion of video editing, followed Gallium gaining serious traction and now Steam and Source comming up and now the Arm servers craze and OpenGL making a serious comeback...

Boy oh boy, exciting times

Windows' de facto monopoly is starting to crack up. Can I yell "Hell freezes over!"?
    not yet. but you could say gallium is gaining some Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi314 View Post
    gallium is gaining some Steam.
    Just great