8.35.5 woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.35.5 woes

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums here and a relatively new linux user as well. I've been trying (in vain) for the past couple days or so to get my drivers installed and working correctly - the livna ones worked well enough until I ran the glxinfo | grep direct and found that there was no direct rendering -

I downloaded the latest drivers from the ATi site - I've got the necessary packages (I think - kernel-devel, qt-devel, rpmdevtools and redhat-rpm-config) and when I run sh ati-driver-installer-8.35.5-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Fedora/FC6, it appears to be working fine until I get a wall of text that I dont understand and this error at the bottom:

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.35.5-1-3901-m/tmp/rpm-tmp.93694 (%install)

Anyone give me any help?

Can you post more of the output? It's hard to tell the problem without knowing more of the output.

This is the most common guess: Do you have kernel-headers and kernel-devel installed?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm not sure about headers - but I've definitely got kernel-devel installed. I'll post the output as soon as I get home - it's rediculously long, from what i remember.

Comment

Stupid move by me - I forgot I had just formatted and hadn't run updates yet. Thanks for the quick response.

Comment

So I ran sh ati-driver-installer-8.35.5-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Fedora/FC6 and the packages built fine, I've got one for control centre, one for the driver itself, and one for the kernel module. When I run sh ati-driver-installer-8.35.5-x86.x86_64.run to start the installer, it appears everything installs fine but upon a reboot it still tells me unrecognized device in my display settings. Any suggestions?

Comment

After you generate those RPM packages, just install them (double click or run rpm -ivh *.rpm) you don't need to mess with the installer.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that.

Appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                After you generate those RPM packages, just install them (double click or run rpm -ivh *.rpm) you don't need to mess with the installer.
                Michael,

While this is good advice in general, one of the actions from the rpm files is to mess up the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file on my FC6 x86_64 laptop. It dropped vesa all over the place and I had to manually fix my conf file to regain my 1680x1050 resolution.

HTH,

Partha

Comment

Working...
                X