Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Linux Hardware Statistics From Phoronix Global

Phoronix: Some Linux Hardware Statistics From Phoronix Global

On Phoronix Global we have more than 25,000 benchmark result submissions from independent users around the world since launching the public version of the Phoronix Test Suite back in early 2008. As I have been hinting at for several months, with the launch of Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 by the end of this year, Phoronix Global will be getting its long overdue overhaul and there are some revolutionary features being worked on as it concerns benchmarking and collaborative testing. This evening, however, there are some hardware statistics to share for the more than 25,000 existing result uploads...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

smolt x phoronix

25000 submissions is quite a nice amount of data. Something that would be really cool would be if one could do some sort of multivariate analysis on benchmark scores, hardware profiles (smolt?) and linux version (sort of like quantitative genetics gene-gene-environment analyses).

Comment

Makes me wonder what's wrong. I'd have expected more AMD as well as a few more VIAs in terms of CPUs. I don't really use PTS that much but it is new to me that it was already ported to ARM.

Cirrus GPUs clearly must come from some emulated environment. Furthermore I'd have expected more intel due to them selling it builtin with their chipsets. But maybe a lot of people added a dedicated chip from AMD or nv.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

These results don't surprise me very much, even though I would have expected a slightly higher AMD percentage (despite being an Intel fanboy).

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          it is new to me that it was already ported to ARM.
          PTS is known to work just fine on x86, x86_64, PowerPC, SPARC, and ARM. Potentially some other embedded architectures too that I am unaware of.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It will be fun to see what is the segmentation by generation (over the time line).
            I guess people running PTS do it on more recent hardware.

Comment

I think it's clear why we see so many Intels: people that buy Intel need to check performance / dollar to see if was worth it

....just joking.

Comment

I was expecting to see more AMD cpus, weird.
                Maybe its just here is more people with rich money pockets to spend some euros to overpriced CPUs

Just my five cents.

Comment

This doesn't mean that 77% of all linux users have intel cpus. Just that those who do submit results to phoronix global do. I think I never uploaded my results because I can't really find any use for phoronix global since it is a bit of a mess. It doesn't have enough filtering capabilities and at the same time it is too strict on searches. For instance, if I type "Celeron 220" on the search box it returns nothing. I have to enter "Celeron D CPU 220" to return any results. How am I suppose to guess the entire name of the cpu?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    Makes me wonder what's wrong. I'd have expected more AMD as well as a few more VIAs in terms of CPUs. I don't really use PTS that much but it is new to me that it was already ported to ARM.

Cirrus GPUs clearly must come from some emulated environment. Furthermore I'd have expected more intel due to them selling it builtin with their chipsets. But maybe a lot of people added a dedicated chip from AMD or nv.
                    The Fedora kvm / libvirt / virt-manager virtualization stack uses a 'Cirrus graphics card'.

As for the other points, remember this isn't an unbiased sample of Linux users, it's a sample of people who use Phoronix Global, who are likely to be interested in Phoronix and are running benchmarks...two things which will tend to bias the results towards high-end systems.

Comment

Working...
                    X