Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Loser In Our Windows vs. Linux Tests: Intel Graphics

Phoronix: The Loser In Our Windows vs. Linux Tests: Intel Graphics

We are still working on the first part of our Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS benchmarks that are set to be published early next week, but so far there is one easy conclusion to draw from the completed tests: Intel's Linux graphics driver is still no match to the Intel Windows driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess we now know how much Intel really cares about Linux.

Comment

and i wonder how much amd still cares about their r500 series. Lucid Lynx will give the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by waucka View Post
        I guess we now know how much Intel really cares about Linux.
        Quite a lot? We are a minority compared to the Windows side, you can't expect performance parity, at least not this soon.

Remember that a lot of time and effort have gone into bringing the entire graphics stack up to date, performance tweaking, especially for games, haven't been a priority.

Comment

Anyway, nice to finally see some comparison benchmarks for Intel, thank you Michael!

Comment

no, lucid will not, 10.10 will.
            Gallium 3D driver is getting to a usable state and dynamic powermanagement will hopefully work

greetings

Comment

what is really gonna be interesting is comparison of PROPRIETARY Nvidia and ATI performance difference on different platforms.
              There is no value in comparing performance of Nouveau with Nvidia's driver.
              We all know the results.

Comment

Totally agree with n0nsense. If the intention of the article is to compare the OSs then the drivers should be the same when possible.

If you wanto to compare bundled drivers performance, go ahead with intel gpu, but please make clear what you are doing.

IMHO Phoronix is an important source of information about *nix systems and showing some misleading results can make the "image" of linux even poorer among some people who hasn't adopted it yet. And as such, I really believe that such comparison *must* not be affected by an obvious (video driver) flaw like this.

If Windoze had free/open drivers, then I think it would be fair. I suggest using AMD board with Catalyst or Nvidia's card and driver on both systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveira View Post
                  Totally agree with n0nsense. If the intention of the article is to compare the OSs then the drivers should be the same when possible.
                  Right, that's what I am doing. Using the proprietary NVIDIA/ATI drivers on both platforms using the equivalent releases. With Intel though, the open-source Linux driver is the only option.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
                    what is really gonna be interesting is comparison of PROPRIETARY Nvidia and ATI performance difference on different platforms.
                    First of all: I want to know how much the intel drivers suck, so yes, this is interesting.

And I tested ATI Catalyst OpenGL performance on Arch Linux, Ubuntu and Windows Vista with this Unigine Heaven Benchmark and they are about the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X