It's The End Of The Month, New Ad Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of ads:

The only phoronix ads that I really find annoying are ANIMATED(!!) ones that come with the RSS feed. I'm considering piping feeds through a proxy to get rid of that annoyance specifically.

Comment

I suggest you place the ads somewhere NOT on top of the text, oh and don't waste the chance to display a text ad, instead of the "click here to close" (which doesn't work with scripts disabled). Use that chance to show a text ad instead.

A little css tinkering takes care of the nuisance. Its not like anyone would make an adless phoronix addition in Stylish, would they?

Adblock and noscript is what made the web sane again, it is the result of trying to force animated ads on people.

Try and be gentle with your readers, and procure a solution that won't hurt you. Don't forget your target audience is smart enough to deal with this.

Comment

Interesting. I saw a pop saying "Close window" twice and "This ad will display only once", but with no advertisement. Probably due to konqueror's add-blocking. No probs...

Comment

I appreciate the need for funding

I appreciate the need for funding (which is why I have allowed ads in Adblock Plus for Phoronix) but I think it is critical that the ads are as unintrusive as possible. Flashing, noisy and garish adds are an annoyance rather than an advertisement and IMHO have no place on Phoronix. Who clicks those adds anyway?

If this _very_ intrusive add is only visible a few days a month, brings in the cash and saves us from loud ads, then I'm fine with this. Otherwise, the adblocker goes on again.

Comment

Damnit, I'm a "Premium Subscriber" and I still see the ads. Can a lock my account to my ip or something? I hate to login everytime to make the ads disappear.

(so I don't think I'm going to subscribe for a second time)

Comment

Hey man, I am going to start a competing site now. I have been considering it for a while because while I appreciate the contributions of this site, the writing quality is really, really bad, and I am super annoyed by the crazy excess of ads. There is a crazy excess of it.

Comment

I understand your need. I subscribe to Phoronix, so I'm doing my bit.

But I sometimes read Phoronix on my mobile phone, and on Symbian's horrible browser and Opera Mini there's no way of closing the ad. Annoying, to say the least. I'll have to see if I can log into the forum on my phone persistently so I don't get the ads.

If you had a mobile site, that would be really good.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdalbum View Post
                  I understand your need. I subscribe to Phoronix, so I'm doing my bit.
                  Thanks!

Originally posted by 3rdalbum View Post
                  But I sometimes read Phoronix on my mobile phone, and on Symbian's horrible browser and Opera Mini there's no way of closing the ad. Annoying, to say the least. I'll have to see if I can log into the forum on my phone persistently so I don't get the ads.
                  Check the premium section of the forums for details, but a new path was implemented this morning that should work out better for you and others as long as you are maintaining the same IP address.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I must say I used to run AdBlock on all sites(as the flash flashing and blinking ads were unbearable) but decided to turn it off and see what happens.
                    The ads currently on Phoronix are better than those before (used to see some kind of ads for free to play games, ads were animated so I disabled them). As long as you keep using Google text ads that don't move and are based on Google's spying then I'm fine with that, I actually get ads that I need sometimes. There is that Forex ad that is animated but fortunately it's not a loop so I'm cool. Keep up the good work on articles and the PTS, they are both really useful for me at least. Disabling AdBlock on this site only, hope it helps a bit at least.

Comment

Well you don't need adblock when you visit always the same sites. You check with the site information feature of your favorite browser the media urls and change your hosts file to point those servers to an ip without any http server like 0.0.0.0. All done

Comment

Working...
                      X