Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 10.4 For Linux Officially Released

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 10.4 For Linux Officially Released

While early adopters of Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" have had access to the Catalyst 10.4 Linux driver for more than a month (in fact, two pre-releases) this afternoon AMD has officially released their April Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let the bashing begin!

Comment

I will take the lead! It is still crap!

Every time you try Catalyst, god kills a kitten. How many have to die?

Comment

Don't worry... even if we run out of kittens there are still lots of rabbits up here :

We provide strong strategic leadership and effective tactical support to the university and its main components in the areas of communications and marketing....
        Test signature

Comment

Wow. It supports X Server 1.7. How cutting-edge. I bet NVIDIA is jealous.

Comment

So had to add just over 300 lines to my script because ATI is unable to update the packages dir from fglrx-packageing.git. Could somebody explain too me why this is so complicated? Added a tricky workaround to be able to use Ubuntu packages with squeeze/sid - lucid is used on real Ubuntu only. Do NOT try to use lucid target on Debian. Drivers are patched to support up to 2.6.34 kernel of course.

Comment

I was about to download and install this, but then I realized I've been using nvidia cards for the last five years because catalyst was so traumatizing. I'm so glad I've had these five years with nvidia, id prolly be dead or in jail if I had to deal with catalyst this whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                So had to add just over 300 lines to my script because ATI is unable to update the packages dir from fglrx-packageing.git. Could somebody explain too me why this is so complicated? Added a tricky workaround to be able to use Ubuntu packages with squeeze/sid - lucid is used on real Ubuntu only. Do NOT try to use lucid target on Debian. Drivers are patched to support up to 2.6.34 kernel of course.

http://kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh
                all I have to do for every driver release is to change one single line in the ebuild (or sometimes put a # in front of a epatch line ...)

should tell you something.

Comment

I am lucky!! fglrx 10.4 is working fairly well on lucid.

- No video tearing using opengl output
                  - kde 4.4.is working really good and fast (I have disabled desktop effects)
                  - The few games I play on wine are ok (torchlight, gratuitous space battles)
                  - Flash video at full screen are crappy but i think this is adobe fault not fglrx

Comment

yay, those drivers are just the same crapy as the prereleased to ubuntu repos
                    -system freeze when using two monitors configured with xinerama
                    -ignoring ingame gamma changes
                    -OpenGL performance regression

Seriously. Since 8-12 or 9-1 I was happy with every next driver release because everything worked fine, sometimes they added new features and fixed some bugs.

Now I'm just frustrated. I think I'll just need few mins to cooldown -_-; sigh.

Comment

Working...
                    X