No announcement yet.

10.4 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I was running the unstable fglrx driver(think it was 10.3 or 10.4 prerelease) on Debian. Decided to install the official ATI package instead so removed the old stuff and installed.

It appears I'm getting a slower framerate now though with glxgears. I'm getting about 1700fps on an HD 5470 card. I really don't want to remove and install the fglrx driver through apt again as its a pain. Anyone else notice anything like this? Maybe I remember the old framerate incorrectly so if that sounds normal, so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by esheesle View Post
      It appears I'm getting a slower framerate now though with glxgears. I'm getting about 1700fps on an HD 5470 card.
      glxgears shouldn't be used as a benchmark, that's the first thing you need to know about linux 3D. Often a faster, more optimised driver will run glxgears slower than a basic one.

If you're worried about performance, try some games or PTS

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
        glxgears shouldn't be used as a benchmark, that's the first thing you need to know about linux 3D. Often a faster, more optimised driver will run glxgears slower than a basic one.

If you're worried about performance, try some games or PTS
        I was just surprised because I thought the official driver and the fglrx driver were supposedly the exact same.

Comment

Ubuntu has 8.723.1 but the "final" 10.4 is 8.723, so the driver in lucid is NEWER from the version, but OLDER from the date 8.723.1 (09-04) vs 8.723 (15-04).

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Ubuntu has 8.723.1 but the "final" 10.4 is 8.723, so the driver in lucid is NEWER from the version, but OLDER from the date 8.723.1 (09-04) vs 8.723 (15-04).
            Which repo is this in? I'm still getting 8.660 for karmic.

Comment

I did not test karmic (nor intrepid) but my script should use intrepid target on karmic.

Test it if you like, i only tested it on Debian Lenny/Squeeze and Ubuntu Lucid.

Comment

So I hadn't used fglrx since several years back on my old Radeon 9800 AIW Pro. So many changes to the installer and the config generator now . And now I have a Radeon HD 2600 XT.

I was able to apply the patch to firegl_public.h for 2.6.33 kernels after symlinking the necessary files per that issue.

After that I was able to make Slackware packages just fine ;-). Backed up Mesa GL and installed the packages. Disabled KMS modesetting in lilo.

I was able to boot up x.org 1.7.0 after changing xorg.conf myself. xrandr 1.2 support works great for setting dual-head support.

2d support working, but 3d support wasn't. Couldn't open fglrx_dri.so (had an old version in the right place). The packager had it in /usr/xorg/lib/xorg/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so but it should be /usr/lib/dri. After that fixed, running okay so far.

Comment

I have an error on package generation for Ubuntu/karmic target, some one have same issues?

dh_link -pfglrx-amdcccle
                  dh_installmime -pfglrx-amdcccle
                  execstack -c debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle
                  execstack: cannot open "debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle": No such file or directory
                  make: *** [binary-install/fglrx-amdcccle] Error 1
                  dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
                  Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.q3NqxJ

Comment

@etreus

Use my script or update the packages dir after --extract with

if you prefer manual way. My script adds kernel .33/.34 support on the fly too. Did not test on karmic however - you can do

Comment

Originally posted by etreus View Post
                      I have an error on package generation for Ubuntu/karmic target, some one have same issues?

dh_link -pfglrx-amdcccle
                      dh_installmime -pfglrx-amdcccle
                      execstack -c debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle
                      execstack: cannot open "debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle": No such file or directory
                      make: *** [binary-install/fglrx-amdcccle] Error 1
                      dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
                      Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.q3NqxJ
                      ditto...

But I'm not at all surprised. This is AMD after all.

Comment

Working...
                      X